nail trimming

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a little excited as I cut Izzy's nails tonight.  She didn't flinch at all.    Do you only do the front or do you do the back also?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had some good scratches over the years when my cats have leapt off my lap or just had a rough landing; so I suggest trimming the back a bit too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had gone back and forth as to declaw or not until I found this site and had pretty much decided to not do it.  Trimming her nails was really easy.  I don't think she even could tell what I was doing.  This is a much easier solution than declawing.  

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do both the front claws and the rear. The rear are usually shorter, probably because cats use their rear legs to jump, so the claws get more wear and tear.  You don't have to do them all at one time You can do them whenever it's convenient, a few claws every so often. 

It's great that you decided against de-clawing/amputation! 

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know I was undecided as to which way to go.  Every person you know has an opinion.  Some are astonished that you would even consider not declawing.  If they don;t voice their opinion they give you that look.  While I have always declawed in the past I just had to rethink it.   Clipping her nails just solves the problems.   She didn't even bat an eye while I did it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I had gone back and forth as to declaw or not until I found this site and had pretty much decided to not do it.  
Good for you!  

I usually clip just the front ones on my cats; the back ones are usually short enough to not need it.  

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am a little excited as I cut Izzy's nails tonight.  She didn't flinch at all.    Do you only do the front or do you do the back also?
Maybe your cat can give my cat lessons on how not to act out during clipping time. I had to burrito-wrap her last night to get the job done. I had noticed her rear claws were catching on the carpet during a play session earlier in the day when she was jumping and rolling around after her wand toy, so I wanted to shorten them up.

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just think she is young enough she didn't have a clue.  

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it's good that you started young.  the more used to it cats are, the easier it will be forever!  none of mine like it because i never used to do it... or at least did it very rarely.  i was diagnosed with an immune disorder about seven months ago and am much more aware of germs and bacteria.  i'm very careful about cat scratches with three active cats who like to climb all over me.  clipping their claws has helped keep scratches down... but it's a chore.  i used to have my hubby hold the cats one at a time, under the arms with the feet toward me.  i grab one foot at a time and go, go, go.  this doesn't always work... sometimes my husband has to really hold the cat and help hold each leg.  i've been trying to sneak up on them more for the front claws, like when they're sleeping or resting - i sneak up with the clippers and snip, snip, snip, snip one paw's worth of claws before they even notice what i'm doing.