Nail cutting

mariawashere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I have a 4 month old kitten and this is my first cat. I was wondering- do I need to trim her nails? If so how often / how short? I don't want to hurt her and I've never done this before. Do I need special clippers?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have to technically, but I think most people here would suggest that you do. Since she's still young, you can get her used to it fairly easily. Some people do very small trimmings more frequently, like once a week so their cats get frequent handling and use with clippers. Some may do it once a month, and some may do it when their cats' claws seem to be getting stuck when they scratch their posts and whatnot.

Some people use normal human nail clippers, but I prefer cat claw clippers since they're shaped better for the shape of their claws. If your cat has light coloured claws, you can see the quick (where the blood supply is) and make sure you only clip above that. Obviously if you clip into it, the cat will end up bleeding. It's good to have some form of styptic powder on hand just in case.

You can check out this article on claw care:

How to Best Take Care of Cat Claws

Also, make it an enjoyable experience. Even if she seems unhappy with it during the process, she should get lots of praise and even treats for tolerating it. We reserve our cat's favourite treats for post-claw trims.

Last edited:

diana karan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with pink dagger ... it's easy to start as a kitten. when your baby is calm or even asleep in your lap, lift a paw and gently hold it and squeeze it gently, the claws will extend and withe scissor type clippers you just start with the very sharp point. Your confidence  is going to make all the difference in the world. Even if you get only one paw done in a sitting, consider it a great success. And even if you Do cut too far and there is a blood, a styptic shaving( used my men for razor nicks, stops the bleeding. So relax. blunt claws will save your furniture, be appreciated by your vet, and believe it or not eventually be a bonding  activity between you and your kitten because your are taking care of her. 

I use a soft voice, absolute resolve and greenies after and she now accepts the process with grace.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I trim all of my cats nails every week to two weeks. I prefer these type of clippers as opposed to the human nail clippers.
Great idea to start clipping nails as a kitten and have a special treat nearby. :nod: Just trim the very tip in the beginning. As you get more experienced and the kitten is feeling confident about the nail trims, then you can take a little bit more staying away from the quick. You can see the pink quick in the nails so be very careful to stay away from that area when you begin clipping so kitten has good experiences with nail trimming. :wavey:

Last edited: