Nail clipping

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nail clipping is difficult for most people, but I find I have a more difficult challenge with Fluffy.

The only time I can really clip his nails is when he's sleeping, he's just too lazy to put up a fuss.

He doesn't like my husband, so I can't ask him to help me with this task.

I guess I could continue this way, but it's something I need to do and soon.

zoey602

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does Fluffy try to bite you when you clip his nails?

My cat Zoey won't try to bite but she squirms and does everything she can to get away whenever I attempt to clip her nails. What I learned to do is wrap her snugly in a towel and pull out a paw at a time. She still cries and meows, but for the most part it's quicker and much easier for the both of us compared to chasing her down every time she gets away.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never thought of doing that.

He does squirm and try to get away. He'll try to swipe at me if he's really upset about it

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine do not attack in any way, but they will bolt at the first chance. If you ever cut too close to the vein, they will jump with a lot of force. I have gotten pretty good at this over the years, but I think they get used to it and don't struggle as much.

Make sure the clippers are sharp however, and I do not do i that often; say every two weeks. I also play with their paws a bit and look them over to see how many need to be clipped.

zendora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoey602

What I learned to do is wrap her snugly in a towel and pull out a paw at a time.
I have to do this with my Pandora, too...I call it The Corporal Manicure.

If I don't wrap her up snug, she writhes so violently in my arms that I'd be afraid to either squeeze her too hard or clip the quick. She isn't really a biter, but she WILL put her teeth on my hand and glare at me "don'tchu make me do it, mom" if I push the issue too hard. But when she's wrapped up, she just meows her grievances without the squirming and we get it done quite quickly.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I will do it over a period of time, doing one or two nails a day. It slowly gets them used to having their feet handled and it doesn't mean a really stressful time.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do virtually all of the cats at the shelter, and I have pretty good luck at it. Some do some serious struggling, though!

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find that wrapping them in a big piece of polar fleece works better than a towel because it's stretchy and sort of clings to them.

gothy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just tip my wriggle-puss on her back to clip them, grip her paw firmly and blow air gently in her face if she starts misbehaving of growling.
Weirdly it works, I have no idea why she puts up with it.
Boy-kin is such a soft pudding that I could paint his nails pink and he wouldn't care. People playing with my toes? More attention, please!