Nail Clipping, Help!

miles06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 8-month-old kittens that we adopted at 10 weeks, male and female siblings. The first few times I tried, they both let me clip their nails. Since then, I managed to clip the female's nails a couple of times when she was asleep, and the male had his clipped at the vet. Lately though, they both will have none of it. They both struggle fiercely to get out of my arms. We've tried it with two people, used towels, but they are strong! I don't want to hurt them obviously or terrify them by trying too hard. I've tried handling their paws often, and tried treat rewards but that doesn't seem to be helping at all. I've watched videos on how to do it, but the cats in the videos always seem to be those that will hold still, albeit with some growling. Mine will just not hold still enough to even clip one nail. We are about ready to have the vet do it, but that is quite expensive and we'd rather not! Any suggestions?? I should add that they are both pretty friendly cats otherwise, and will tolerate being held at least for a short period of time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I can't tell from your description with the towels, but can you try a kitty wrap?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miles06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
What is a kitty wrap? So far we've just tried wrapping them in big towels, but they struggle free. I've just ordered a cat grooming bag... maybe it'll work?? Wish me luck with that!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried not holding them? It sounds weird, but I used to hold my cats down too and I have an 11lb male who would struggle fiercely. It often took two people. Now I just get him to lay on his side and he doesn't struggle too much. Some pulling, but nothing like before.

If you can get them to lay on their side then that might help. I have one cat who'll let me do it while he's sitting, one whom I get to lay down, and one who's fine if I catch her laying down, but doesn't like me lifting her feet off the floor. With the last one, I do hold her on her back since it's easier than trying to wait for her to get in position, but she handles it well for short periods of time.

Which brings me to another point. Don't try to do all the nails at once. This wears down their patience and they'll only struggle more. I do one paw, move on to the next cat, do one paw, move on to the next cat. If I take too long, they start struggling. You can bring this down to one nail as well. And give a treat every time. That gives them a bit of a break and they get a tasty treat. I have treats that they only get for nail trimming.

If you want to try to take the time to desensitize and counter-condition them, then you can do that as well, but you have to be careful. If you cut their nails during this process, you set it back. However, if it takes too long then their nails end up too long. This process would consist of touching the feet, treat, touch, treat. Then lift the foot, treat. Then touch with the clippers, treat. Then lift while holding clippers, treat. Then lift and touch with clippers, treat. Eventually you cut a claw, treat, and work until you can cut all the claws on a foot. This is a process I'm currently working on with my dog, but I don't see why it couldn't work with a cat. Just keep in mind you have to go at their pace and it could take days or weeks. I recommend starting after they get their nails trimmed, so that way you have time before the next time they need cut.

miles06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried not holding them... I'll approach them while they are napping in the cat tree, carefully, touch their paw a bit... but as soon as I try to hold their paw to press the nail out, they get up and jump down.

I'll try getting them to lay on their side! I'm going to bet they won't go for it though :)

I'll also try that desensitization technique. Does it tend to work with a lot of cats?

Thanks for the advice!

miles06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Animal Freak, another question... with the desensitization, what happens if you touch their foot and they pull away? Do they get a treat? That's where I'm at. How often do you do this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Regarding the cat/kitty burrito wrap (there are videos) I think you'll be better off with the item you ordered, good for you:)!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, to be honest I haven't had to do this for any of my cats. I can't guarantee it'll work, but I do believe it should at least help, if not solve the issue completely. It's basically just teaching them that 1. it doesn't hurt and 2. they get a tasty treat. It's building positive associations which is something used with cats, even if not usually in this specific way. It teaches that the scary thing isn't so scary. I don't see why it couldn't work for any animal.

Yes, always give the treat and start very slowly. Just a gentle touch and pull away immediately. If you have to, you can even start by just moving your hand towards their foot and then pulling away. Eventually they should learn you aren't going to do anything bad and they'll stop pulling away. Once they're consistently okay with you touching their feet, then increase the length of time you touch. Once they're okay with that, lift their foot up and immediately let go.

This process can take any length of time. The more negative associations they have with nail trimming, the longer it will usually take. You do each step until they're comfortable with it which can take minutes or days. Short, fun, and frequent sessions are better than long, drawn out ones. Do 5-10 minute sessions once or twice a day. Or even 2 or 3 minute sessions if that's how long they'll tolerate it. You want to avoid annoying them.

If you do have to get their nails trimmed before completing the process, it would probably be better to go to the vet or groomer, so that way someone else gets the bad association. It might set you back a little, but probably not as much as you doing the trimming.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Often my partner holds the kitten while I clip, or vice versa. This gives us each more control and more hands to pet the kitty in between nails. Sometimes holding them like babies (tummy up) helps calm them down if they're being particularly feisty.