Nail clipping help!

musicalcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sweet, docile, easy-going and friendly boy just WILL NOT tolerate getting his nails clipped! It's so bizarre because he's so easy-going about everything else (car rides, new people, outings, brushing, bathing wipes). I've had much less flexible cats that did fine with nail clipping. I've tried several holding positions and lots of treats. I tried easing in to it: introducing him to the clippers, getting him slowly comfortable with me manipulating his paws and revealing his nails, doing just one in a sitting several times a week...he does fine up until the clippers begin to close around the nail, then he writhes and pulls so violently that I have to release him for fear he'll break his leg or get hurt in another way.

Any ideas? Do I need to try another kind of clipper (i have just a standard scissor-like one)? What clipper do you guys recommend? I'd truly appreciate suggestions!

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, have you tried to approach him whenever he's napping? I find when my cats are totally relaxed and more into catching their z's is the best time nail trims. Make sure you're calm during this process; cats can definitely feel some nervous energy from you if you're already anxious about the ordeal. The pet approach and paw massage is good, and going starting off slow--one or two nails at a time for a nervous kitty like yours. I, too, find the scissors type works best for me.

Not sure if you've read this, but I feel it gives some good pointers on the "how to's": http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/trimming-your-cats-claws

Maybe some calming treats before hand can help? If all else fails, I'd probably try to have it done at the groomers and while they're at it, add some soft paws, too.

Hope others weigh in to give you more pointers! Good vibes to you and your kitty! 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have someone to help you or are you trying to do this solo? I trim the claws on the cats at the local shelter and there have been only two cats in the last 5 years that I haven't been able to handle by myself. We recently, kind of accidentally, found a new technique. Instead of trying to wrap him we put him down on a thick towel on the floor. He dug his claws in and held on for dear life. The other volunteer was behind him holding him in place. I pressed down lightly on the top of his paw to keep the claws extended and was able to hook the curved part of the scissors around his claw to clip the tip off without him even noticing. I think I may have trimmed a little of the towel as well, but that's okay. This is a cat who is 4+ years old and has been at the shelter since he was a few weeks old. Easiest trim job I've ever done on him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicalcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm doing it by myself. I'll try wrapping him in a towel and the calming treats too. Thanks for the suggestions!!