Nail caps

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I made the decision to get nail caps for Delilah because clipping her nails is a nightmare and she loves making biscuits on my leg, stomach, chest, etc.

This is her second round. The problem is she seems to pull off 2 or 3 within the first couple of days. I noticed its the same same claws both times.

Does anyone know any way to keep her from nibbling at her toes and pulling caps off?

Before she got the caps I saw her nibbling her toes and claws as well.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm not sure how you could possibly prevent her from nibbling them off to be honest, she is going to do it naturally whilst grooming.
Have you got plenty of things for her to scratch around the home to keep her nails trim??
I had an issue with my two cats scratching furniture so I simply increased the amount of scratch toys and posts and its no longer a problem, my favourite is the cardboard looking scratchy things, the cats seem to love them.
Also is she an indoor cat? I have one indoor and one indoor/outdoor cat. I find that my indoor cats nails always seem to grow quicker, probably because she doesn't have access to climbing trees and trimming them outdoors so its vital she has access to scratch toys in the home.
I'm sorry I don't entirely agree with the caps but thats just my opinion, no judgement.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll be honest. We tried the kitty caps with CiCi and were never successful in keeping her from chewing them off. They just didn't work for us, so I stopped trying to use them and started focusing on getting scratcher toys to fill my house with instead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah has plenty of scratching stuff. But that doesn't keep them short, and I've had a couple of nasty 2 inch long scratches on my stomach from the nails the caps came off of.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it not cost the same to get a groomer or vet to cut her nails every month? Imagine having to wear gloves all the time, doesn’t seem like a pleasant experience. I’d pull them off too.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried cutting the nails one at a time? Like one when she’s sleeping next to you. This way they usually don’t even notice. Puree form treats might help too to keep them distracted.

I know not what you asked but getting the nails trimmed is the most comfortable for both of you. Hopefully you might find a way to get them trimmed easier

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista would never let me cut nails on both paws at once. But if I keep the clipper nearby, I can often clip one or two claws at a time when she's sleeping or sleepy before she catches on and protests.

But usually I ask the vets to do this especially if they have to sedate her because she can be a firecracker at the vet's office.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she’s pulling them off they might be too big - I used them on my cat when I was housesitting for a friend with nice furniture, and i quickly noticed that the sizing recommendations they gave on the box were very off. If they’re too big there will be lots of dead space in the end of the cap that their claw doesn’t fill, and that makes it much easier to grab the cap and pull it off.

Also don’t overcorrect and use too much glue, they’ll be freaking impossible to get off.