Mystery Illness In 6mo Indoor Male Cat ~ Description Provided

sickcathelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6 month old male domestic shorthair cat adopted 2 months ago. Neg for FeLV, FIV, HW. Two weeks ago suddenly became lethargic, moves slowly, sleeps all day, except to eat, drink, and use litterbox. No longer plays with sister (who is completely normal, energetic, playful) or with toys. Has not vomitted, no runny nose/cough, has not peed/pooped outside of litterbox. Third eyelids showing often, especially when sleepy.

Took to vet 1 week ago and had a 104 degree F fever. Was examined (was told he had a heart murmur, no other details) and had “bloodwork” done and given a week’s worth of Clavamox, which was administered completely throughout the next week. Still no improvement. Vet called back and said bloodwork was all within “normal limits” and FeLV neg. Has no idea what is going on...

Does not cry when palpating spine or any other areas of body. However, seems to have “weak” hind legs/lower body, slow movements, tail sometimes crooked looking. Able to jump onto my bed when wants to but otherwise does not run or jump around. Fast breathing (due to persistent fever?) Meows for food, eats plenty. Otherwise, just wants to lie down and sleep. Does not seem to be losing weight... if anything, seems fatter or just as fat.

Both cats are strictly indoor cats... Fed dry and wet foods, water replenished every few hours...

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I thought maybe he could have hurt himself when jumping onto counter which had tape on it... maybe fell wrong and hurt himself... but not sure, because he is still able to jump onto my bed. And when vet examined him they did not notice anything wrong. I noticed symptoms started when weather became really cold, but it has been minimum maybe 60 degrees indoors.

Last edited:

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You and your vet have probably already considered the possibility, but when my kitten had her 3rd eyelids showing, slight fever and soft stools (which started nearly normal and got progressively worse) it turned out to be tapeworms. She had been dewormed per the rescue agency but I looked into her records and realized they had only given her Strongid. Sure enough she improved quickly after a round of tapeworm tabs.

Whatever it is I hope he gets better soon!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickcathelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You and your vet have probably already considered the possibility, but when my kitten had her 3rd eyelids showing, slight fever and soft stools (which started nearly normal and got progressively worse) it turned out to be tapeworms. She had been dewormed per the rescue agency but I looked into her records and realized they had only given her Strongid. Sure enough she improved quickly after a round of tapeworm tabs.

Whatever it is I hope he gets better soon!
Would tapeworms cause severe lethargy? He actually had tapeworms when first found as a stray kitten along with his siblings, but was dewormed in July and rechecked in August. The vet last week actually didn’t mention anything about tapeworms, she just said he had a fever of unknown origin and if the antibiotics didn’t work, he would be worked up for the heart murmur. Maybe it could be tapeworms because I did notice a flea on him a week ago, but I bathed him and vacuumed and haven’t seen any since. I don’t know why a heart murmur would cause a fever...

xeenthequeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe tapeworms could cause lethargy, but for my kitten they did not. You would think he'd have other symptoms like diarrhea or weight loss at that point. Anyways, he could ingest just one flea and end up with tapes again. My vet at the time said to watch out for 3rd eyelids showing again as it could mean they're back.

sickcathelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe tapeworms could cause lethargy, but for my kitten they did not. You would think he'd have other symptoms like diarrhea or weight loss at that point. Anyways, he could ingest just one flea and end up with tapes again. My vet at the time said to watch out for 3rd eyelids showing again as it could mean they're back.
He doesn’t have diarrhea or weight loss, just some loose stools but that was only AFTER taking the Clavamox (a normal side effect). Also, the vet said the “blood work” was normal... I’m assuming eosinophils would be elevated in a tapeworm infection. Thank you for your help. I will ask my vet about a tapeworm possibility.

sickcathelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So today, another vet at the same facility said his temperature was still elevated at 104 degrees F. Vet did a musculoskeletal exam, which was normal, so he did not sprain a ligament or break a bone or something. Vet did an abdominal exam, which was painful on deep palpation. Ordered abdominal x-ray, which was inconclusive -- vet was unsure whether there was ascites in abdomen or if it was just fat... I mentioned that he seems to have an unsteady gait, will bump hip into wall sometimes. Vet said it isn't tapeworms because tapeworms doesn't cause a fever like this. Vet also says it's not a urinary problem. Could be FIP or toxoplasmosis. Was given Clindamycin. Upon Googling, I found that one of the symptoms of toxoplasmosis is uncoordinated gait. Hope it's toxo and not FIP. :'(

Last edited: