Mystery Catchy Chin Dirt

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I had four cats at one point. I started with two and adopted another kitten in early 2016 late 2015. When I adopted him I believe he had fleas. He had this patch on his chin of dirty crusty stuff I brushed it off as flea dirt and he eventually lost it once the fleas were gone from the house. Then in late 2016 I adopted another cat (both of these cats are the cats in my profile pic, both long haired) when I got this new kitten he also has fleas. I started treating again and I noticed this same gritty black dirt on his chin. I just figured ok it must be flea dirt it'll go away like the others did once I treat the fleas. But it never did. All of my cats eventually got this stuff under their chin. Like it spread to each other for some reason. I looked for any info I could find on what it could be and called and asked my vet. All I could gather was it's probably allergies to their bowls but I use glass and porcelain and always have with all of the cats. My living situation changed and the two younger kitties had to be moved in with a distant cousin where they are happy playing with each other now. However my two older cats that are still with me still have this chin dirt. They don't have fleas. I've combed and combed them crazily because I was convinced they had fleas but I'm sure they don't at this point. I also don't find the dirt anywhere else on their body.
Another thing to know is I got the two kittens from the same non for profit rescue that works with my local petco. Not all of them have fleas like mine did I just think I was unlucky and there were a couple outbreaks in the holding areas they were in the around the times I adopted. But even now the cats I see there all the time have this chin stuff. All of them. Young ones older ones. And it's not fleas anymore that was nipped on the bud and taken care of when I adopted my last kitten and they also don't have dirt anywhere else. Just their chins like my cats. Which is leading me to believe this is something that is spreadable. Does anyone have any ideas on this? It doesn't seem to bother them. It just bothers me a bit. Cus they love a good chin scratch occasionally and I just don't know what the heck I'm scratching off their chin and it gets under my nails and makes my female cats chin look dirty since half of her chin is white. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like cat acne. They usually just recommend that you don't use plastic and keep the area clean with a mild soap or maybe Chlorhexidine . Princess Yue Pants gets that dirt from time to time. We have plastic water fountains and plastic bowls. I'm on the waiting list to get stainless steel bowls for the feeder, but they've been saying that for a year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well that's the thing. I've always used glass or ceramic. And why did my older cats never have it then all of a sudden they got it after my last kitten I adopted? Is the glass like plastic? Can it cause acne as well? I wash it with dawn dish soap. I had my two older cats for 3+ year with no issues and the same bowl materials and practices. And my third cat for almost a year and he only had it for awhile then it went away. Also the cat rescue I adopted them through only used ceramic bowls in the enclosures they keep the cats. I just don't understand why I can't get rid of it now. Should I change to metal bowl inserts? And get a metal water bowl?

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ceramic and glass bowls can still have bacteria after they get scratched or chipped. Thats why i throw away the cat bowls after about a year- i get them at about $1 each.

Im using tempered glass plates/bowls right now and my kittens have some acne. They used to have a lot more when i first got them home... so I take that to mean they're improving.

They dont have any dirt though and i havent taken them to the vet to confirm what it is exactly.

But I have noticed that the one with more obvious black spots is white, longhaired and also tends to push her food in a straight line when she eats, so she rubs her chin more.

Years ago, I had a tom with acne and he used to dig in the garbage. He was so handsome, but so gross :/

Last edited: