Mysterious black dots on my cat's back

HeyMax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! We shaved our cat recenetly and found mysterious black dots on her back. All the vets and friends said that they didn't know what it is. I'm pretty sure that they are not flea dirts though, as we use dewormers regularly. All the dots grow on the back and they are not falling on the fur.

I'd appreciate ie very much if anyone could help us identify what the black dot is and how to treat it properly. Thank you!

1599124795562.png
1599124815032.png

1599124836306.png
1599124862329.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are the dots raised or flat? How old is your cat? Does she scratch at the spots? Since your cat is white, this could be pigmentation changes or perhaps even moles. I take you can't wash them off or comb them away? Giving a cat a dewormer will not protect them from fleas, just so you know. But, if the dots aren't moving and cannot be 'removed through washing or combing, it probably isn't fleas or flea dirt.

I am surprised your vet didn't have some ideas about what the dots could be. They apparently aren't too worried about it if that is all the 'help' they had to offer. Have you shaved your cat before? If so, you didn't find black dots then?

Hopefully other members will come along and offer some ideas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeyMax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Are the dots raised or flat? How old is your cat? Does she scratch at the spots? Since your cat is white, this could be pigmentation changes or perhaps even moles. I take you can't wash them off or comb them away? Giving a cat a dewormer will not protect them from fleas, just so you know. But, if the dots aren't moving and cannot be 'removed through washing or combing, it probably isn't fleas or flea dirt.

I am surprised your vet didn't have some ideas about what the dots could be. They apparently aren't too worried about it if that is all the 'help' they had to offer. Have you shaved your cat before? If so, you didn't find black dots then?

Hopefully other members will come along and offer some ideas!
Thanks for your prompt response, I truly appreciate that.

My cat is 1 year old and she never scratches at the spots. The spots aren't moving at all and we can't wash or comb them away.

I haven't shaved my cat before, we combed her regularly and noticed the dots but we didn't realize there are a lot more dots till we shaved her. She is quite energetic and seems like she doesn't care about the dots.. Hmmmm it's just so weird to us!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I apologize that I'm not clear, but you had her shaved because you were trying to get a better look at the spots? I'm wondering if you could talk to a different vet to try and pinpoint what, if anything, is going on with her skin.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! We shaved our cat recenetly and found mysterious black dots on her back. All the vets and friends said that they didn't know what it is. I'm pretty sure that they are not flea dirts though, as we use dewormers regularly. All the dots grow on the back and they are not falling on the fur.

I'd appreciate ie very much if anyone could help us identify what the black dot is and how to treat it properly. Thank you!

View attachment 349612View attachment 349613
View attachment 349614View attachment 349615
I've never seen anything like this before, though one of my little kittens had some small, but darker, spots on her coat, which were the pigmentation of the fur.
A second veterinary opinion would be good, if you're able. Very mysterious! Hoping your cat is well and that this is just harmless pigmentation.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Acne? I know they are most commonly found on the chin and mouth, but they can show up in other parts of the body.

Allergic reaction to something? Dust allergy, food allergy, pollen etc etc one of my kitties is allergic to fleas, if she gets them she gets lots of little bumps and spots.

In any case, I'm for what the others have said - Definitely check out another Vet if you can! It's odd that they couldn't pin point what it is. Good luck!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Acne? I know they are most commonly found on the chin and mouth, but they can show up in other parts of the body.

Allergic reaction to something? Dust allergy, food allergy, pollen etc etc one of my kitties is allergic to fleas, if she gets them she gets lots of little bumps and spots.

In any case, I'm for what the others have said - Definitely check out another Vet if you can! It's odd that they couldn't pin point what it is. Good luck!
Flea saliva allergy=miliary dermatitis.

Lunathecatsowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your prompt response, I truly appreciate that.

My cat is 1 year old and she never scratches at the spots. The spots aren't moving at all and we can't wash or comb them away.

I haven't shaved my cat before, we combed her regularly and noticed the dots but we didn't realize there are a lot more dots till we shaved her. She is quite energetic and seems like she doesn't care about the dots.. Hmmmm it's just so weird to us!
my prediction would just be that they have some kitty blackheads that need treating. Often if they get left for a while they develop a paste which is black in colour and moves around the skin i can recommend is treating them as spots

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flea saliva allergy=miliary dermatitis.
The follow-up question for this hypothesis (for me) would be to ask if there are a greater concentration of black spots near the back of the head and up beyond the shoulders where the cat can't reach as efficiently, allowing fleas to gather with impunity in those areas. From the pictures the answer looks like yes, honestly.

HeyMax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize that I'm not clear, but you had her shaved because you were trying to get a better look at the spots? I'm wondering if you could talk to a different vet to try and pinpoint what, if anything, is going on with her skin.
Thanks for your reply. I've already talked to 4 different vets and none of them could point out what it is. Thankfully my cat is still quite active and energetic and seems like she isn't bothered by the black spots.

HeyMax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my prediction would just be that they have some kitty blackheads that need treating. Often if they get left for a while they develop a paste which is black in colour and moves around the skin i can recommend is treating them as spots
Thank you so much! We'll arrange an appointment with another vet and see if it's a kitty blackhead. :-D