My younger cat will not eat any wet food

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She will only eat dry. She actually doesn't really even care about food, she would rather play.

She wont even eat human chicken, etc

She will eat a can for a day, then stop. I have tried every brand, kind(pate, etc) every flavor

Nothing.

I prefer grain free because my other cat is on that but I don't know what to do.

She was eating natures recipe but it is made in china so I don't want to feed it to her.

Any suggestions on a decent food?

Thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats prefer dry too and just lick the gravy off of wet. There are a lot of grain free dry foods out there you might try, just encourage a lot of drinking, I got a fountain that they love.

maggiewheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat Maggie wont eat wet food also vet said if she wont eat it that's fine. As long as you keep a lot of fresh clean water always around for her. The only good thing about wet is there is water in it. Other then that if youre cat has no medical problems you and your kitty will be fine. Grain free food is poping up every where.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can understand your frustration. My cat was like this for many years, but with a lot of persistence, I was able to get him to switch to we food. Since he has FLUTD & has been hospitalized twice for blockages, it wasn't really a choice. He had to be on we food. This article has good suggestions on how to switch from dry to wet: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transit...-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

It takes a lot of patience, but can be done. Cats do not naturally drink enough water to make up for what they're lacking with dry food. So if at all possible, don't give up! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried the kibble, it doesn't work with her and she walks away. I also cant keep wasting money buy opening five cans at a time.

thanks

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She will only eat dry. She actually doesn't really even care about food, she would rather play.

She will eat a can for a day, then stop. I have tried every brand, kind(pate, etc) every flavor

Nothing.

I prefer grain free because my other cat is on that but I don't know what to do.

She was eating natures recipe but it is made in china so I don't want to feed it to her.

Thanks
My cats are super picky as well . They also are not crazy about wet food .  They are currently eating 

Natures Variety Instinct Grain Free Chicken kibble . They are crazy about it ..

For wet food you could try Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers . It is not grain free but it is wet .

Last edited:

rupertoooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two very finicky felines.  I have tried numerous different canned foods and have found decent success with the following:

Weruva - Paw lickin' Chicken

and

Nature Variety Rabbit.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Nothing.

Thanks
First off, do you free feed the dry food, or are they on scheduled meal times?  To convert to canned, the best thing to do is get her on a strict feeding schedule so she will be hungry at mealtime.  Then your chances are better to get her to eat what is presented to her.  Believe me, it CAN be done.  I've got two of the pickiest eaters in the world, and they used to be free fed kibble.  Now we have NO kibble in the house.  They've been eating wet food now for 3 years, and if they don't eat what is presented to them for breakfast, then they have to wait until lunch to eat.  I used to open a different can if they didn't want what was being served, but I finally called halt to that .  Since I stopped bowing to their every demand, they have become a little less picky too

Anyway, when you are first converting them to wet food, it IS important to find something they like.  I played around with finding the right canned food while they were still being transitioned to scheduled meals.  Soulistic (Petco's house brand) was the one that mine ALL liked (of course, now they hate it
)  They have one that is almost identical to Weruva's Paw Lickin Chicken too.  Now mine are liking Nutro Natural Choice Chunky Chicken.  It's my pickiest eater's favorite, although sometimes he will still not eat....he'd also rather play than anything else

Along with the link above on transitioning to a new food, here is a link on how to transition to scheduled feedings (just in case):  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transitioning-free-fed-kibble-kitties-to-timed-meals

felineempathy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats just prefer dry over wet food.  My cat will eat both dry and canned (I always feed her canned though).  My brothers cat won't even touch canned food and just wants dry.  It really depends on the cat and what he/she likes.  It could also be the brand of canned cat food you're giving them, maybe try different stuff and see if they'll eat it.  If all else fails try a sample pack of dehydrated cat food like Honest Kitchen (it's food that you add water to).

If you can't get them to eat canned food, there's nothing wrong with dry.  It's just deemed as being as not as healthy as canned, raw, and dehydrated.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a new kitten who also won't eat wet food. I'm going to read that article posted above, but in the meantime I did find out she loves fancy feast broths creamy kind.  It's not a complete food, but it got her taste buds activated to where she would start eating the dry food (she wasn't eating at all at first).  Now if only I can find some wet food that is complete nutrition that tastes like the creamy broths I might be all set.

angelamariebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think all of the suggestions here are excellent and you seem to be willing to try whatever it takes. Just wanted to add that if she decides dry is what she prefers, just go with it. A well fed and happy cat is better than a hungry cat. :)

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. I do not leave food out all day because my other cat is a puker. He will eat super fast then throw up. he has other issues as well so he gets a couple meals a day so I do the same for her. He is also a bully and will eat her food!
She actually ate some wet food today. It was wellness chunky chicken. I bought some different brands today so hopefully she will eat them. If not I will just stick to the dry.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could try some freeze dried (meat only) "toppers" on top of the wet food, e.g., Origen, Pure Bites, Whole Life. A little goes a long way. Sometimes my female cat gets fussy with her canned food, I take a FD treat and just crumble it on top, she eats her food right up. For some cats, it's about texture, e.g., a preference for chunky meats versus pate type canned foods.  You may have to experiment a bit, it takes some patience and time. As a last resort, some people use Forti Flora as a topper to entice cats to eat canned food when all else fails. Good luck. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. I do not leave food out all day because my other cat is a puker. He will eat super fast then throw up. he has other issues as well so he gets a couple meals a day so I do the same for her. He is also a bully and will eat her food!
She actually ate some wet food today. It was wellness chunky chicken. I bought some different brands today so hopefully she will eat them. If not I will just stick to the dry.
I'm glad to see you've had some success! If you're still looking for food suggestions, I second mrsgreenjeens's suggestions of Nutro Natural Choice and Soulistic. Our cats love Nutro's minced chicken and sliced turkey as well as Soulistic's chicken in the pouches. A lot of picky cats seem to like those foods. We rotate three of the Nutros as night foods because they always get eaten... and our cats are pretty picky discerning.

Good luck!

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will get some next time at store