My Year And A Half Old Savannah Reacting Strangely To Buprenorphine Sr

Cleo Savannah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cleo got a shot for a broken paw yesterday at noon. It is now 18 hours later and she's acting loopy, distant, confused and scared.

Are these normal reactions to this drug? (time released). She didnt sleep with me last night for the first time. Am I over reacting?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat used Buprenophine, he was a zombie, but not scared. I had another who hissed and growled at everything. However, some cats if they are "drugged up" will act scared and even aggressive because they know they are not well. Not to mention she knows her paw is "off". I wouldn't say you are overreacting, as we all want to make sure our babies are well, but I would not be too alarmed as long as she is continuing to eat, drink and use the litter box. As the drugs wear off, I'm sure she'll start to come around. Keep in mind that this drug is in the opiate family, so although not as addictive and dangerous as some others, it's still pretty strong stuff.
If you are that concerned though, I'm sure your vet would not mind a quick phone call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cleo Savannah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really happy to hear you say this. I am worried because my vet I used had terrible Yelp reviews I discovered after the fact. Review like "This vet is heartless has no ability to show compassion...". This has my mind wandering. I've never seen my cat so distant from me then now, on these drugs.

Cleo Savannah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One quick question...off topic. Am I missing it but how do you edit or delete a post...I just joined today and I cant find "edit".

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One quick question...off topic. Am I missing it but how do you edit or delete a post...I just joined today and I cant find "edit".
Welcome! The edit option will come up once you've been member a little longer. To delete a post hit the three little lines in the lower left and flag it with a request to the mods to delete.

As to the original question, my cat has a horrible reaction to any -orphine ending medication in general. He gets really grumpy, loopy and snippity for several days. I try to avoid them whenever possible for that reason.

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Neji was lethargic, and his balance was very off - he kept bumping into things. Your baby probably just experienced more severe side affects. Every medication has an inherant risk, so as long as it isn't something she takes regularly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cleo Savannah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats an odd one...especially when a new guy always wants to get it right. Must say thats a level of security i've not yet seen until now.

Cleo Savannah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has a horrible reaction to any -orphine ending medication in general. He gets really grumpy, loopy and snippity for several days. I try to avoid them whenever possible for that reason.
I feel better...

Thought of something...

Imagine one of us taking a drug and not being able to even process what drugs do. I guess it's not hard for a cat to be totally confused and terrified. The crazy thing is the the damn doc didn't need to administer this drug in the first place when all that was needed was a splint for her. He up-charged me on a sedative because he claimed my cat was being too uncooperative to receive the splint. Theres no reason for three days of timed release misery. My cat had a huge tear in her eye this morning. She hates me right now.
IMG_0591.JPG

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you feel better, and hopefully Cleo will bounce back in no time. I would however, if you ever needed to give those pain meds again (hopefully not!) to get the liquid form that you simply have to syringe into the mouth (cheek). You don't even have to make sure she swallows, as the medication works by it being absorbed into the gums/tissue. That way if there is ever a bad reaction, you don't have to wait until the injection wears off, just stop it and go get something different.
And she doesn't hate YOU, she's just not feeling well. I had a cat who would hide during thunderstorms and whenever we would go to him and try to comfort him he would growl, over and over, it was really sad. But he was not mad at us he was just telling us that he was scared. Try and give her all of her favorite things. Treat her to some tuna and give her a warm place to sleep. Whatever she likes.
She IS still eating, drinking and doing "her business" as usual right?

Cleo Savannah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you feel better, and hopefully Cleo will bounce back in no time. I would however, if you ever needed to give those pain meds again (hopefully not!) to get the liquid form that you simply have to syringe into the mouth (cheek). You don't even have to make sure she swallows, as the medication works by it being absorbed into the gums/tissue. That way if there is ever a bad reaction, you don't have to wait until the injection wears off, just stop it and go get something different.
And she doesn't hate YOU, she's just not feeling well. I had a cat who would hide during thunderstorms and whenever we would go to him and try to comfort him he would growl, over and over, it was really sad. But he was not mad at us he was just telling us that he was scared. Try and give her all of her favorite things. Treat her to some tuna and give her a warm place to sleep. Whatever she likes.
She IS still eating, drinking and doing "her business" as usual right?
I woke up this morning and she was curled up next to me. Getting back to normal. She will never get pain meds again unless absolutely necessary. Clearly this was not a time.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Cleo Savannah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is how my cat reacted to the narcotic....Just to be clear.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No.

But...to be clear, you are describing how your cat reacted to this particular type of buprenorphine.

And, if we, as caregivers and guardians, are to decide whether/not to prevent/manage pain in our cats.......we better be bloody-well sure of that which we are judging.