My well behaved cat and boxes!!!!!

petguy78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a cat that we adopted two years ago named Abraham. He is such a well behaved cat-except when he has a box or toy that he can crawl into. He seems to get a bit aggressive when he is in a box and will often take a swipe at you as you walk by or go to play with him. I am thinking that he looks at this box, or laundry basket, or hideaway as his own territory! Am I on the right track? I know now to leave him be when he is in his box, but is this normal behavior?:nod:

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like he is just trying to entice you into playing with him. It is more than likely more play than it is aggression. Very normal. I don't know how many times my cats have gotten into their "crazy moods" and swatted me while I walked by them, and usually they are "hiding" or in mid-play, trying to get my attention.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like perfectly normal behavior.  Try getting a toy on a wand and dangling it in front of the box for him to "attack".

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sort of reminds me of my cat with her scratching post. Sometimes I would scratch it a bit and it would entice her to run over and put all four legs around it and start scratching it as if she is saying "mine mine mine!!" It's funny to watch. And if I were to scratch another area, she would jump to that part and do the same thing, so I think it's just playing. 

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, this is normal as far as my experience. My cats will hide behind the couch, and then kind of "pounce" at me when I walk by, it's instinctual. Boxes are my cats' favorite, to sleep in, also to "hide" in. It's not about territory, it's about being sneaky (which cats like to do). If it's a problem for you, get rid of the boxes. My cats love boxes, so what I would do is encourage their "cat and mouse" game. Take a toy such as a wand with feathers or what not, and, when they're in the box, wave it in view and then out of view of the box. They love it. They may swipe at you as you walk by, but it's playful.