My Vet Says Declaw!

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took my 6 month old kitten in to the vet to get his nails trimmed. I have been taking him there because he doesn't cooperate with me yet to trim the nails and I don't want to risk hurting him. My vet told me I should get him front declawed. I told him I really didn't want to and I told him about how it could possibly change their behavior or they become mean, etc. He said that if the cat is going to become mean, then that is his personality and it has nothing to do with declawing.

I read on the home page today that article about the first hand witness to the declawing procedure and I was in tears. I certainly could not hurt my little baby. He likes to claw on my walls because I have wallpaper, but I certainly don't want to declaw for that reason. I have provided him with several posts, but I just need to be more patient.

I, like other people I'm sure used to think that declawing was standard just like the article said. After further educating myself, it makes me sick to even think about doing it.

Thanks for listening.

gurlpower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

This is from my previous sharing:

Afew websites regarding declawing:

http://www.cchumane.org/pawsclaws.htm

How important are a cat's claws?
Have you ever wondered at a cat's remarkable grace and agility, her faultless sense of balance? To a great extent, this is due to her ingeniously designed retractable claws that allow her to establish footing for walking, running, springing, climbing and stretching

http://www.vbspca.com/cat_declawing.html

Leave Those Paws with Claws -- Don't Cripple Your Cat.
by Arthur Newman, DVM

Hold up your hand and take a good look at it. Spread out your fingers and think of all the things you use them for.

Now imagine that someone came by while you were asleep and cut off your fingers down to the first joint. Looks nice,, right? You don't feel a think, right? And you can still do everything you used to do, right?

Wrong. As you wake up, your fingers begin to ache and throb. You can't button a shirt or zip a zipper. You can't hold a pen the way you used to, and you'll have to learn to type all over again. In fact, you'll have to relearn a lot of tasks.

If these were your toes, your balance would be permanently impaired. You could walk, but your movements would be clumsy and your range of motion severely limited.

This is what happens when you declaw a cat. The procedure involves severing ligaments and tendons in the paw and removing the claw and its attached structure (the third phalanx) -- the equivalent of amputating the end of a human finger or toe up to the first joint.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mdelman/catclaws.html
Declawing means far more than leaving your pet defenseless against an attack outdoors.

It means:
The severing of ligaments and tendons that bring pain.
The creating of an imbalance that can lead to injury.
A change in personality and temperament.

A cat may go berserk, bite and growl.

Cheers!

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Print out some of the articles and give them to your vet and let him know that is why you are going to find a more compassionate vet. He is oblivious to the pain and suffering he is causing these animals and that is not acceptable to you.
You are a great person for looking to this before taking the word of this person! Keep up the good work!

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up we had most of our cats declawed, now when I was really young I didn't know it was "bad" except for the fact that I hated to see my cats when they came home, the way they acted and the way some of them had changed, it was so sad
And yes just about all my cats used their teeth more and harder after declawing. And these were outdoor/indoor cats! Where a lot of other animals roam in the deep woods!

There are many things you can do to train your cat to not scratch you walls, just keep having patients and read up on other suggestions and I'm sure you'll do fine.

The vet is wrong, wrong wrong wrong, about his comments on behavoir after declaw. And some people don't believe me when I say it's possible for some vets to be wrong, undereducated, or just plum ol have different opinions from other vets and pet owners, but this is a prime example!

I've gotten into so many "talks" with old fashioned vets about many things, and in the end they are just toooo stubborn!! They have their degree and I don't, so of COURSE they have to be right and I'm just living in some "fantasy world".

Anyways, I'd say mail some GOOD official declaw information to your vet, in a nice friendly package.

I've quit vet after vet, because of the way they treat animals, information they don't know and refuse to further educate themselves in their practice. I certainly don't want to bring my animals to a place that refuses to try new and proven life saving treatments!
I'm not saying to change you vet, I'm just saying what I, and many others have done. I think it's important to have a good relationship of understanding and education with your vet and your animals, it can be hard to find that perfect vet office however.

yola

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you think the procedure is illegal in so many other countries? It's for a good reason - it's a barbaric practice and the sooner it is outlawed in the US the better.

It angers me that the so-called exponents of animal health and welfare condone this activity purely for the sake of profit.

Full marks for you for taking the trouble to read up on declawing and making your own decisions. There are many who will take a vet's advice verbatim and be none the wiser.

You little kitty will thank you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sharper-

I would be looking for another vet were it me. Thank you for not taking his advice to heart.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharper, I think it's great you did your own research on the declawing issue and didn't just take your vet's word about it. Your little guy is a lucky kitty to have you!

gonzo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently adopted a declawed cat. After some inspection, I could tell that the vet had really butchered him, he just has little stups for fingers. It just breaks my heart to think of the pain that he went through because of his previous owner.

rock&fluff'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Change Vets!! I am against declawing and I definately wouldnt be taking my kitties there if my vet said this.....sorry if this sounds so harsh...but I do think this would be the best solution..

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OHH, let's declaw him
- Sorry I know I am out of control.

Sharper, your baby is very lucky to have you and you should be very proud of yourself for not listening to this $#%$#%&&.

I agree, it's time to find another Vet. They can show you how to best handle him for when it's time to trim those little claws!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I moved the one scratch post right next to the wall where he likes to claw and guess what? He is using it! He still likes to use the wall and whenever I see him on the wall, I just say no and show him the post. I also bought today one of those that you hang on the door cause I figured he likes to reach up. I have one on the floor, but he doesn't like that one. I guess I will just keep trying. Cats are so picky! LOL!

Thanks everyone.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, you should find a new vet. Kudos to you for doing research on declawing before having it done.

As for scratching posts-cats really like to RRRRRRREACH up and stretch while they're scratching. In fact, I think they do it just as much to get a good stretch in. So, you want to find something that's tall and stable (or long and stable to lay on the floor), or the one that hangs on the door like you have. Ivo ignores her little scratching post (she only uses it when we're playing, and she hides behind it) and uses her carpet-covered kitty condo to scratch.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sharper, you can also get sisal-covered boards to hang on the wall. I have two of them, and our cat loves them. Try to find a fairly wide one, though, or hang two side by side in the spot where he is working on the wallpaper.

gert452000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had many, many indoor ONLY cats. Thay have all been delcawed. I have never noticed any personality change in them. Thay have all still played. These cats still scratch on furniture and walls with the only difference being they don't get scolded for doing it. My cats all use their front paws as if they were hands with actual fingers. I never put my cats through two surgeries. They always were declawed while being spayed or nuetured. I have five indoor cats right now (all delcawed) at one time I thought maybe I wouldnt get the last two declawed but when they started hurting the others while playing I knew that the claws had to go. One of the cats almost lost an eye during play becaue of a claw. I would not hesitate to have more cats declawed. They recover very quickly and love me as I love them.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if you read the article on the home page of this site? Most of us feel that declawing is the same as torture. It causes the kitties so much pain. My kitties are allowed to only scratch their toys and trees. I have no problems with the rest of the house. I hope you won't mind the next few responces you are sure to get.

gert452000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nope, I don't mind the difference of opinions. That is why I posted a reply. I felt that both sides of this issue needed to be said. And there are two sides to this issue. Everyone I know that has indoor only cats has had them decalawed. I know lots of cat people.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gert:

And while that is very saddening.
I too have had outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats and declawed (I will never do it, this was by the decision of my parents growing up.) And all those declawed little buggars mostly died eventually to some animal or road outside, but they formed behavorial problems as well after being declawed.

There are no two sides to this issue...
Unless you look at it from the stand point that... human pleasure comes first over an animals pain.

Lets do an experiment. You go get your fingers chopped off, come back with no pain meds and try to remain having a unaltered life style.

And, you don't know lots of cat people, you know lots of people who OWN animals.

gert452000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just realized that this is the wrong forum for this discussion, there is a special forum for opinions. Having said that, I will only respond one more time to this discussion.
I would never, ever allow one of my declawed cats to go outside. They are totally defenseless without their claws. My cats stay in the house ALL of the time. None of my cats have developed any behavioral problems. They all play with each other and with us. My cats have all lived to be old and when they did finally leave me they were old. In my cases delcawing had never elad to behavioral problems or illness. Maybe you need to check and make sure that the declawing was really the root of the problems.
Cutting off my fingers is not even close to the same as declawing. I have discussions with different vets in my area and they all assure me that a cats level of discomfort is very different from ours.
At one point I was determined not to ever declaw again but the vets convinced me that it is really quit all right.
AND finally, yes there are two sides to this and every issue. As your icon shows the American flag you must know that this is still America where different opinions are allowed.