my vet is not too fond of nutro!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nyanchan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone for your advice and experiences!
I think i will try the blue spa one more time, but if that doesnt work, I can maybe try the Pet Gold (i think that's what it's called). And worse come to worse, I might even try pro-plan (the ingredients in pro-plan looked a little better than science diet).

Thanks again!

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you get Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul? It's decently cheap but has great ingredients. I'd try it before Pro-Plan. I'm feeding the dry to my kittens daily and I use the canned in their wet food rotation. They love it. It hasn't been very long but I do think Eve's fur is softer now than when she was eating Eukanuba dry.

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nyanchan

thanks everyone for your advice and experiences!
I think i will try the blue spa one more time, but if that doesnt work, I can maybe try the Pet Gold (i think that's what it's called). And worse come to worse, I might even try pro-plan (the ingredients in pro-plan looked a little better than science diet).

Thanks again!
Since your kitty is prone to getting UTIs I would highly recommend cat foods that specifically mention maintainence of lower urine pH and have low magnesium content. Otherwise, you're likely to get a recurrence.

Since you want high quality, I would try Royal Canin like kitytize suggested, but I would recommend the "Control Formula" since it is specifically formulated to prevent recurrence of UTIs. If your vet doesn't have it you can get it off of http://www.southernagriculture.com.

wet

dry

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once had a vet tell me Nutro was on his black list because although cats have done well on it a number of dogs on Nutro have come into his clinic with heart disease. Apparently there was something missing in the food essential to dog health. I would hope that Nutro had fixed the problem by now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

I once had a vet tell me Nutro was on his black list because although cats have done well on it a number of dogs on Nutro have come into his clinic with heart disease. Apparently there was something missing in the food essential to dog health. I would hope that Nutro had fixed the problem by now.
It was about 3 yrs ago
... pm me and I will happily tell you

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I've posted elsewhere, one of my boys is currently getting over a bout of crystalluria (struvite). He's currently on the Hill's S/D with junk ingredients. However, it is the ONLY RX food clinically proven to break up struvite crystals. For that reason, I'm willing over-look the list of ingredients. After having examined all of the other Hill's maintenance diets, I've decided not to give them Hill's after the S/D period of 4 weeks. I consider Royal Canin Urinary SO to be a better RX food, so we'll go with that food next month. IMHO, it's a very small trade-off (i.e., feeding slightly inferior ingredients) to decrease our odds of having a reoccurrance. We're now feeding both of our cats a lot of canned Nutro with their respective dry food. After Pico's done his S/D RX, we'll feed Nutro canned with the Royal Canin SO RX diet.

If I didn't have a special need cat, I would definitely recommend the Nutro brand of cat food - before Pico's incident, both of my cats did wonderfully on their Indoor Complete Care line. We had a low incidence of hair balls, the cats had lovely coats and there were no gastrointestinal problems to speak of.