My Very Demanding Cat

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Long time no post! :)

I'm trying to reach a conclusion if we spoiled Bruce rotten or if is just in his nature to be a very demanding cat.

Bruce is now 11 months old and driving us crazy half the time. I though my last cat was a hard case! Well, I was wrong! At least Zoya let me sleep, although she bit me half the time I was awake.

Bruce wants what he wants, when he wants it. And he knows how to make us give in to him.

The food problem. Bruce is fed wet food three times a day, in the morning, in the evening when I get home from work and before going to bed. He has free range of his dry food.

Although I would love to feed him at 7 am, Bruce demands to be fed at 6 (the latest). If he doesn't, he will jump on us and attack our feet and legs. If we put him out of the bedroom he will meow his lungs out (I have neightbours that might not be liking this any longer). We tried ignoring him for a month straight, until 7. He just goes on and on. He's very vocal so he can meow for hours on end. I can't sleep with him meowing and am afraid my neighbours will get mad. This week I just gave in and got up to feed him.

Night time feeding is another matter. We usually settle to bed around 11pm. Bruce want to be fed earlier. So by 10ish he will start jumping on my husbands desk, which he know really irks my husband and now learned to knock things down. We tried everything, but he just runs away to return 30 seconds later. He can get on a saints nerves! If it's not the desk is the TV cables. He doesn't bite them anymore, but pulls at them. He will find something he know we don't want him to do and will do it until we get up and take him out of there. Then he will run to the kitchen and meow. We tryed ignoring him. It doesn't work, he will find something, believe me. If he doesn't, he comes and attacks your feet.

Maybe this can be solved feeding him earlier, but I'm afraid that will mean he will wake up earlier to, and we're doomed!

He will also do this dance when he want attention. And no problem, I love to play with my cat. But I cannot do it all night long and his energy is everlasting!

I also know the best solution was to get him a playmate but that is not possible. Don't have the space or the money for it.

Does anyone know an automatic feeder that is ok for wetfood? I think I probably need one. And do rotating his toys ever work for you? We're up to trying anything. We love the silly ball of energy and he can be the sweetest thing when he's up to it, but I really need to sleep...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL!!! I have one that is just as bad, they sound like twins! I blame it on his Siamese ancestry, every one I have had is loud, bossy, and demanding. There are four others in the household and he is the only one that is SO demanding, he too will knock things off of tables and walk and bite on you. I have found over the years that they don't get earlier and earlier, they like that time and that is the time they want your attention, so have hope. I am a very early riser, so I adjusted to getting up at their time, and every thing has been fine. As you get older and have no real timetable that is easier to do though. They all love going to bed at night, so I have no problem there, although two go out to the shop to sleep to keep the peace. 11 months old is still a kitten so he will most likely calm down in the next year or two, the only thing to do really is to ban him to a separate room with a heated bed, litter box and food and water. When I bring mine to the shop family room, they get a handful of treats and look forward to that every night. They hated going in there at first for about a month or so, but now look forward to it.They cried and pouted, but no more. I told my husband it was only for the winter, but they love it so much....and it WOULD be cooler in the summer........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support. :) It's great to know we're not the only one dealing with high mantaince cats.

I can ban Bruce to the living room (he doesn't even mind, until he wants food) at night, however the appartment is small and I will still hear him and so will the neighbours when he starts complaining.

I just bought an automatic feeder and hopefully it would help. Or we will just have to hope it gets better with time.

Here's a pic of the little devil.

IMG_1957.JPG

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, now how can THAT face be trouble!? :) He is Ying to my Casper's Yang, Casper is white. With the long, lanky legs and longer face, he MAY have some Siamese in him too, watch out for a lifetime of fun and games!

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow sounds like my cat she's about a year old. Luckily gives up meowing after about 5 minutes and goes to find something else to do. That is after she's doing shaking my bedroom door from the bottom lol. My boyfriend says she's sounds like a scary dog when she does that. Im Also afraid to get her a friend because of her attitude. I hope she's happy living alone, because there's no way I can handle 2 cats, one is overwhelming enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bruce learnt to scratch the door this weekend... oh Lord!