My two cats used to be more bonded but not anymore. Could I get some advice?

Tatum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve got two cats that I have had for about two years. They’re both about two years old. I used to live with a roommate and had no other pets in the home. They got along very well. They played together, cuddled, groomed each other, etc. It was wonderful! I eventually had to move back home almost a year ago for financial reasons. My parents have dogs and cats, so I kept my cats in my room for a month or so because I was afraid of integrating them with the other animals. They eventually got acclimated and roam the house now. They don’t really acknowledge the other animals, except for the cat. One of my parents’ two cats ran away, so there are now three cats (including mine) and three dogs.

I don’t know if the other animals are what has caused this, but my two cats aren’t near as close as they used to be. In fact, they play too aggressively now. They’re almost fully fighting. My boy cat, who is probably about six months younger than my girl cat, is very playful and chases her. There was a time where they would tussle, but now she runs from him and will even turn around to hiss at him. When they play, her ears go back as she swats at him. From what I can see, it seems he hasn’t changed. She does play still but only on her own with toys.

My girl cat antagonizes my parents’ cat, who has never liked any other pets in the house. My cat has even chased their cat before. They do not get along but they aren’t constantly at war with each other. They typically avoid one another but mine will randomly get too close to theirs in order to antagonize. My boy has done the same to theirs but it’s much more rare.

I know this is a lot, but I’m trying to give some background info so anyone who happens to read this will have a better understanding of what’s going on. I really want my two cats to bond again. I miss them playing with one another and sleeping next to each other. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds to me like the change in households and dealing with other animals have changed the dynamics between your two cats. You also have to consider that your cats are more mature, and that can change the dynamics too. All the playing, cuddling, etc. can become less when they get out of kittenhood, which begins around 1yo or so.

Since all they do is bother your parents' cat, which can't be appreciated, maybe they would be best left in your room when you are at work, and only allowed to roam the rest of the house under your supervision. You can make your room as their haven filling it with enrichment that they can enjoy together. This article might give you some ideas on how to do that.
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) - TheCatSite

I'm sure you will hear more ideas from other members soon!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds identical to 2 of my 3 cats. They used to adore each other but once they were past 1 the playing stopped. Now senior,Maggie is much bigger compared to peaches and territorial

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How's their schedule look like with you?
How's their "resources"? If the resources didn't increase with the increase in animals then that can cause the inter-cat friction.
Can you tell us a bit more about the home and the set-ups for all 3 cats?
How are the cats with the doggos?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with others. The cats have been through a lot of changes. Not only with their living situation, but also their age and maturation. I think it can be a bit common for cats to be more distant with each other as they get older. They're more confident in their world and might not need the comfort as much. Also, how they play can change. My cats love to play fight - chase, tackle, bite, etc. My parents' cats were "bonded" as kittens but they grew out of it and they do their own thing now.