My two cats made these kittens.

cwalkup329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted in this forum a month or so ago about why kind of kittens my two cats would produce and about the breed of my female stray I took in. Well here are the results. I was really hoping for a tabby, but no such luck. I am wondering though since there aren't any tabbies if my male is the father. I'm almost positive he is with the time frame, but thought I would ask an opinion as I do not know much about genetics of cats and their patterns/colors. I'm pretty sure the three multicolored ones are girls, one solid black is a boy and the black and white is a boy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is the father, or another red tabby is :D. You can only get calico babies from a red cat and a dark cat. So in this case, since the mother is dark, the father had to be red. Boys only get their color from the mother so that's why they're dark. I think both parents have to carry the tabby gene to pass it on, and since the mother is pointed/mitted, she wouldn't be likely to have any tabby in her background. There isn't any way a dark mama cat can have a red tabby baby. The mother has to be red or tortie to have a red kitten.

Adorable babies! It looks like some of them might have longish fur.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I think both parents have to carry the tabby gene to pass it on,
Nay, as I understand it, tabby is very dominant.  So its enough with a single tabby gene to be a tabby self.  If our red tabby is the father, he "should" get at least half of the kitten tabbies. All, if he is double gened tabby, and about half, if he is single gened tabby. But the statistics arent ironclad.  If he is single gened, it CAN happen none tabby gene gone through into this litter.

Although, I wouldnt be surprised if there is another father committed.   Are you sure there wasnt any other tom around?

ps.  Im writing so because I dont see any of the kittens is tabby.  But if YOU notice some of them are tabby, it becomes immediately straigh.

observe, a tortie and tabby ("torbie") can be quite difficult to see the exact patterns and colors.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cwalkup329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took the female in around November 22nd, after she came into my home there were no other males around and she hasn't been outside since then. She went into heat or had heat like symptoms around December 12-16 and gave birth on Feb 17th. The timeline seems appropriate for him to be the father, but the kittens aren't what I had expected them to look like. I still love them just the same though!

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What an adorable little bunch of kittens you have!

From what I can see, mom is a Black Point with White and the possible father is a Red Tabby. The kittens I can see so fast are Black with White, Tortie with White, Diluted Tortie with White, and I think one Tortie without any white, but I can't see the feet very well.

Do you happen to know the parents of either of the parents? That might help in this case. It is possible your male is the father. Tabby is indeed dominant and if the father passed it on to one of the kittens, it would have shown. However, if he didn't pass it on and wears the non-tabby gene underneath, there's  a chance on non-tabby kittens. If this happend with all 5 (which is possible, just a little chance) you get all non-tabby kittens. There's also a diluted kitten, which is again possible if both parents wear the diluted gene (which you can't see if they also wear the non-diluted gene). The amount of white probably comes from the mother, so a father without any white can still get kittens with this much white.

So yes, it is possible. Genes can really surprice is somehow! If you do happen to know more about the parents's backgrounds, please let us know. That can really clear up the picture even more.

Enjoy your babies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cwalkup329

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, I don't have any history on either cat. The male was abandoned by someone at my moms house when he was about 8 weeks old and the female was found at a car wash, starving a couple of months ago. If she was pregnant by another cat, she would have been 2 weeks over due because since I got her at the end of November she hasn't been around any other cats or outside. Male cat has since been neutered and she's going to be spayed once the kittens are weened. I wish I could keep all of them, but I'll only be keeping two of the kittens. THe rest already have homes planned out for them.