my two cats are always play fighting..

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine wrestle around a lot too. I think as long as they don't break the skin with their claws or teeth they are fine. Mine play rough but never cause any scratches or broken skin. I also keep their nails clipped short to prevent this. I never tried to stop mine because they look like they are having fun, so I don't have an answer for that.

If they are hissing or spitting while wrestling I would keep an eye on them.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ours just discovered play fighting rather recently; the 2nd one is new to the house and it took about 2 months before they got to the point where they were comfortable with each other to do so.  Casper is twice the size of Cocoa, literally, so at first I was a bit concerned but she sure holds her own with him.  They take turns being the "aggressor".  For the most part there is no noise when they do this at all, just a lot of slow batting at each other, some gentle biting around the head and neck, a bit of wresting and chasing each other around.  Sometimes, Cocoa will let out a little meow but, she also has speed and agility on her side; being much younger and lighter, and is able to escape him quickly and to higher ground.  She usually comes right back to continue the play, so obviously he isn't bothering her too much, even when she complains.

I've never seen them really use their claws or teeth on each other in a way that caused concern although sometimes Casper goes for her belly, which I really don't care for. And while it seems like she isn't too upset by it, I will step in and calm them down when I see that happen.  

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
how do you know when its good and bad? and how do you tell them that you've had enough of the ruckus?
If there is fur flying and blood, it is bad.  Good luck telling them you have had enough ruckus.
Just keep their claws trimmed and sit back and enjoy the show.  I think you will know when they are hurting each other.

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can usually tell if its play fighting. Uno is our resident bully and that is when fur flies. I try and break it up by scooting Uno up the stairs and who ever he is picking on into the kitchen. It usually helps...I also use a stern voice or something to get their attentions. Good Luck!