My two and 1/2 year old and 1 year old play too rough

jkah123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 1/2 yr old female calico and a 1 year old male orange tabby. We had the male first, he was a rescued stray. We adopted the female a month and a half ago. She is great, very cute and affectionate and really fits in. They really do like eachother, they lick eachother all the time and rub up against one another etc. They play ALL the time. And sometimes too rough. My boy got his right eye scratched two weeks and his left eye scratched two days ago. He is lucky and is fine both times. His cornea itself is not scratched. I am worried about what to do and how to stop them from playing too rough, or if I even can. She always swats the eyes! So annoying. He is my baby lol and I don't want anything to happen to his eyes or eye sight. Any tips?

alistair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure you trim both of their claws on a regular basis. I would go buy some Soft Paws and glue them on her. Easy fix.

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope someone with more experience would respond to this situation.  I'm not that familiar with the problem, but what the heck.  I suspect the female never learned not to use her claws when playing.  You can still train her by playing with her with a toy and rewarding her when she plays without using her claws.  Does the younger cat use his claws?