My Three Cats Are Splitting Up

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently live in a house with three cats (and two other people). The three cats all live in the basement (it's a nice basement, don't think they're stuck in some dank sunless corner). The TV room is down there as well as my housemate's bedroom. (The third person isn't really involved in this.)
Of the three cats, one has strongly bonded to me. One has strongly bonded to my housemate. The third has kinda-sorta bonded to both of us but seems marginally more attached to my housemate. My housemate is leaving for graduate school about 800 miles away. I'm coming along to help with the move.
He will be taking "his" two cats. The third cat will be moving up to my room on the second floor of the house. (In a few years, I might get another cat, but I can't get a second cat for mine at this time, so that's not an option.)
I don't want to sound like a lunatic, but what's the best way to do all this so that the cats all have a chance of understanding what's going on with the minimum of upset?
If I just move my cat up to the second floor, and the other two cats move off with my housemate, will the three cats be confused? (My cat: "Wait, where did they go? Their human took them away, and now they're all gone. Even the human!" Housemate's cats: "Where's the dark gray one? Is he alright? What did you do with him?") I know cats don't think like we do but they've all been together for several years now.
I'm driving out with the housemate to help with the move and will stick around for a day or maybe two. Is it, well, rational, to take the third cat to the new apartment? Sort of like, "See? They're staying here now. And you and I will go back home. But they'll stay here with the housemate, see? Everyone's still okay."
Or am I over-complicating this?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I would most definitely not take “your” cat along for the trip. Watching over the two who are moving is enough for both of you and your cat will be much happier in familiar surroundings. And, while it will definitely notice the other cats absence, it isn’t necessarily going to be lonely or unhappy. Having more space and all the attention might be all he needs.

The cats that are moving will also adjust. The travel will be stressful but once they get settled in to a new place they will be fine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The cats will miss each other to be sure. All you can do for your cat is to give it a lot of extra attention and play time. Dote on your cat through the adjustment period.

If you leave your cat behind during the trip, please have someone your cat likes to be around and is totally comfortable with stay with him during your absence. The adjustment period is going to begin the day you leave with your roommate for the trip. Leave some of your worn, unwashed clothes in places your cat likes to hang out so that he can smell your scent while you are gone.