My teenager!

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know why my 16 yr indoor male has a newish habit of finishing a meal, then announcing he's through and/or where's he's going next (like to hide in a dark place from the sun, tho' not necessarily that choice)? Needs me to see him going into the 'cave' as if I won't know where he is when it's time to feed him again, or ? Thx!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When was the last time he saw a vet and got bloodwork?

It could just be he is getting older and going through a phase. It could be an indicator of something else (thyroid issues in particular can cause anxiety which could express itself as wanting to check in when moving around, just as a random thought). When you are talking a senior pet with a behavior change, a vet check and bloodwork is usually a good idea just to be safe.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did someone accidently kick his last hiding spot and jar him? If so he's telling you where he is so it won't happen again.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not at all... and it's been going on for a long time - randomly months if not longer... the ciurrent spot is in a partly covered bathtub - not kickable.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats, as they get oIder, get more "taIkative." For YEARS, aII I heard from Hek was an occasionaI, tiny "mew." NOW, she's become a reguIar orator. Everything she does is announced. Everything I do is commented on (generaIIy a negative comment). We have Iong discussions on aImost every occurence during our day.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd like to meet Hek :)! But mine just seems to want to announce stuff, when and where he's going, and of course (not new) mealtimes. Oh well... there are more important things to worry about, yes?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Having read a heap of TCS threads on vocalizing, I’d say it couldn’t hurt to ask your vet, just to make sure. But if there’s 0 wrong, I for one would enjoy the moment. Talk back to him, even. Have long, drawn out conversations. I’ve noticed my elder statesman likes reassurance, talks more just to make sure I’m around & knows where I am. Knowing I’m there allows him to nap deeply in security. I’d feel the same way if I were verging on senility, counting on someone for all my meals and medications, keeping my box clean. You’re here? Good. Now I can nap. It can be simply a breed thing too, esp. if there is Siamese involved.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
New vocalizations in an older cat signals to me to check for hyperthyroidism with bloodwork. Best caught early and no harm if that isn't it.

Have you been watching cat videos lately?

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, Siamese are impossible yakkers! I've been watching mine for hyperT for months ++ but 2 tests came bk normal.... however that was then and now I'm going to do it again... he's otherwise not superactive, but the heat's been bad so he just sprawls near the fan and dehumidifier a lot (so do I). Will book asap and let you know results. Thanks for reminding me actually!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Siamese are impossible yakkers! I've been watching mine for hyperT for months ++ but 2 tests came bk normal.... however that was then and now I'm going to do it again... he's otherwise not superactive, but the heat's been bad so he just sprawls near the fan and dehumidifier a lot (so do I). Will book asap and let you know results. Thanks for reminding me actually!
Let us know how it goes! And hopefully he's just chatty in his old age.