My take on cat litter and box cleaning

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 males
1 is a 10 yr old tux named Kitty and the other two are brothers one is Siamese/tabby mix named Ash and the other looks Maine Coon/Tabby His name is Pirate they are almost 2. When we took in the 2 brothers the cat box became a problem. We couldn’t figure out why Pirate wouldn’t use the cat box but Ash adjusted to it with no problem. We eventually realized Pirate didn’t like scented litter, so we started using unscented litter and he started using the box, problem solved. Funny part is he doesn’t always bury what he does and his brother Ash has to come along behind him and bury it for him. He’s such a good brother, It’s too cute to see. Every time Pirate goes to the bathroom Ash comes running along to check on it. So anyway long story short we went through multiple types of scoops to be able to clean the cat box, and we finally settled on a 10” round garden sifter and a scoop, it gets all of the poop even the little pieces that usually fall through the scoop. So I clean the boxes twice a day and add fresh litter as needed. So now I have three male cats two big cat boxes and you can’t smell anything, if it weren’t for the toys everywhere you wouldn’t even know we have cats. Hope this helps someone
IMG_3111.png
Ash and Kitty
IMG_3110.png
Pirate

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's funny how different they can be - even with their potty habits. And particular! You aren't the only one who has had to change smell, type, size, etc. Other cats, they will go on whatever you give them! 😄

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We eventually realized Pirate didn’t like scented litter, so we started using unscented litter and he started using the box, problem solved.
Scented litter is terrible. It has such a strong scent that I often can't stand it (I used it in the beginning with my first cat, before switching to unscented)... I can only imagine how overpowering the smell is to a cat.

we went through multiple types of scoops to be able to clean the cat box, and we finally settled on a 10” round garden sifter and a scoop, it gets all of the poop even the little pieces that usually fall through the scoop.
Do you have any links to exactly what you bought? Or links to images of anything that resembles it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bought everything on Amazon

Neater Scooper Cat Litter Sifter $25.99
Yawpnan Cat Litter Scoop $7.45
Pureness Giant High Sides Cat Litter Pan
$10.57
Vonoso Garden Soil Sifter -10" $19.99
The Original Gorilla Grip 100% Waterproof Cat Litter Box Trapping Mat 35x23 $16.99
Bought 2 of the boxes and 2 of the mats.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use arm and hammer double duty and never had an issue with it.

For years upon years I used Maxx scoop in the blue pail which was honestly the best cat litter ever made but they stopped making it. It had a bit of a scent but more earthy smelling than anything. Apperently tidy cats bought maxx scoop and tidy cats is amongst the worst litter ive ever used.

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s true I never thought about the relationship between scented cat litter and a cats sensitive nose. I only thought of it as it smells good to me. Then one day I saw Pirate walk up to the cat box smell it turn around and go to the bathroom right next to the box instead of going in it and I had just cleaned it, that’s when I realize there was the smell of the litter that he didn’t like. So now we just use plain unscented HEB clumping litter. and guess what it’s cheaper. Lol.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s true I never thought about the relationship between scented cat litter and a cats sensitive nose. I only thought of it as it smells good to me.
I have used scented litter that smelled so strongly, it made my eyes water when pouring a bag into the box.

And I have an inferior human sense of smell. The typical rough estimation I've always read is that a cat's sense of smell is like 14-15 times stronger than ours.

My cat would have sneezing fits after using the box.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bought everything on Amazon

Neater Scooper Cat Litter Sifter $25.99
Yawpnan Cat Litter Scoop $7.45
Pureness Giant High Sides Cat Litter Pan
$10.57
Vonoso Garden Soil Sifter -10" $19.99
The Original Gorilla Grip 100% Waterproof Cat Litter Box Trapping Mat 35x23 $16.99
Bought 2 of the boxes and 2 of the mats.

I'm considering after all these years in getting a litter mat, how does it work for you? I usually just put a sheet on the floor but am wondering if there's a better option.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used scented litter that smelled so strongly, it made my eyes water when pouring a bag into the box.

And I have an inferior human sense of smell. The typical rough estimation I've always read is that a cat's sense of smell is like 14-15 times stronger than ours.

My cat would have sneezing fits after using the box.
I had switched to unscented litter too, except it is ME who has a sensitive nose and I could smell the new scent that was created by mixing cat pee and scented litter. My cats never had an issue using it, but only after a month, I was like nope. If I can't handle it, I won't subject my cats to it. Unscented works best at smell control. I also use baking powder as a deodorizer at the base of the litter box before I pour in the litter.

Also, unrelated, but I have read (not sure if its correct) that cats who don't bury their poop consider themselves to be at the top of the cat heirarchy. Not sure.

Btw, your cats are gorgeous!

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good info! Do most find clumping or not clumping litter cheaper in the long run? I am leaning towards clumping myself even though it may cost more it seems like less gets wasted.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm considering after all these years in getting a litter mat, how does it work for you? I usually just put a sheet on the floor but am wondering if there's a better option.
Litter mats work well until your cat learns they can just jump over them....

I have one but my cats can clear it very easily. Most of them are too small for an animal that can jump 6 times its body length. A runner would probably work better.

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mats catch most of the litter, but not all of it, however to me it’s worth it. It’s easier to take the mats and shake them out and sweep once a week instead of sweeping every day.

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good info! Do most find clumping or not clumping litter cheaper in the long run? I am leaning towards clumping myself even though it may cost more it seems like less gets wasted.
Unscented Clumping 👍

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had switched to unscented litter too, except it is ME who has a sensitive nose and I could smell the new scent that was created by mixing cat pee and scented litter. My cats never had an issue using it, but only after a month, I was like nope. If I can't handle it, I won't subject my cats to it. Unscented works best at smell control. I also use baking powder as a deodorizer at the base of the litter box before I pour in the litter.

Also, unrelated, but I have read (not sure if its correct) that cats who don't bury their poop consider themselves to be at the top of the cat heirarchy. Not sure.

Btw, your cats are gorgeous!
The boys say thank you for that wonderful compliment. ❤

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find that the HEB unscented litter is cheaper than the scented litter as far as clumping versus non clumping. I prefer the clumping that way the litter last longer and it’s easier to clean the box.