My Sweet Nina Was Born With A Swimming Leg Syndrome

Ashraf Elsherbiny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I don't really where do i start? i had a Scottish fold mother that gave birth to 3 beautiful kittens from a British shorthair male.
As the days passed on, specifically 15 days, i've noticed that one of the kittens (Nina) had her back legs splayed like a frog. i thought her legs was hurt or something.
I took her the other day to the vet clinic where a physical examination had been done and vet told me no fractures at all and she was fine. I was a bit skeptical and asked him if she might need X-ray but he said no need and to bring her next week to check again.
I went out the clinic but my mind was not accepting what he said and so i took her to nother clinic where i met another vet. she did the examination as the previous one and told me that she needed X-ray to see if there's any sort of fractures or deformities.
After a while she showed me the image and confirmed that no fractures at all and her spine, chest were all fine. Yet she had a rare anomalies called swimming leg syndrome and that her back legs only affected ( No Flat chested syndrome) which usually accompanied with 4 splayed legs.
The vet recommended that it's better to put her down to sleep as it will be difficult for her to live a normal life. At this moment i was completely at shock and my heart was broken and i totally refused the idea. If God gives us as humans plenty of chances throughout our entire life, how could we be that cruel!!
i started to search the internet and read many articles about the syndrome (i'm a pharmacist) and tried to find the right way to handle her case.
I decided to do things :
1- physiotherapy 4 times/daily and do some stretches of her back legs to strengthen the muscles, warm bath of water where she pushes her legs against the water.
2- leg taping every single day and i was checking if there was any kind of swellings or inflammation that might have happened because of the tightened tapes.

IT'S HAS BEEN 3 WEEKS SINCE I STARTED HER TREATMENT AND THE RESULTS ARE OUTSTANDING. SHE NOW CAN WALK NORMALLY AND FREELY LIKE HER SIBLINGS AND AS ACTIVE AS THEM.

i wanted to attach the videos to let you see guys, we are really happy and so proud of her.
If there's one thing i can say is never give up guys and sometimes use your gut and DON'T follow what some narrow minded people are saying. if there's any single chance for your kitty to survive just take it and do whatever it takes, if it succeeded then you will be the happiest person on earth and if it failed at least you will not regret it at all.

If someone knows how to attach short videos to the thread, please let me know so i can share with you video of our super hero Nina.

Thanks,
Ashraf

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. As I read your post, my heart fell when you said the vet recommended putting her down, as I've read success stories of other kittens with swimmer's leg, and knew it could be overcome. So I was so relieved to read further down and see that you worked with her, and that she is walking now.

Congratulations! :bouquet: And thank you for not giving up on her. :petcat:

Here's a link that might help with posting your videos:
How To Upload And Add Videos To Your Posts

If that doesn't work, do post pictures of the little darling. :catlove:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashraf Elsherbiny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@rubysmama, you have no idea how disappointed i was after the Veterinary visits, it just filled my heart with anger and sadness. i posted this short story of Nina to let the owners understand that sometimes they have to trust their guts and give it a try. don't give up because always there will be a chance and never go for putting their souls down that easy. if our lives are so precious, so theirs!