My super skittish cat is sick

Shretkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby Luna is sick. I think she chewed the string off her toy and ate it during the night, about a week ago.
She’s never done that before and she acted normal for a few days so I thought maybe she didn’t actually eat it, maybe hid it or something. But she stopped eating on Monday and hasn’t been herself at all. She still used her litter box, but hasn’t passed the string.

Multiple vet visits ensued. None of the vets believed it’s the string. X-ray was inconclusive. They told me she has an unidentified infection causing fever and loss of apetite. She got IV fluids, antibiotics and metacam for her fever, and oral antibiotics to go home with.

My Luna is a super skittish, scaredy cat, and after a year with me she still prefers under the couch or the closet corner. Having to muscle her into carrier to go to the vet, as well as forcing liquid antibiotics down her throat, has made her super stressed out and especially wary of me. I feel like I’m abusing her every time I drag her out of her hiding spot to shove a syringe in her mouth. She’s a super picky eater, no wet food, no treats, so I can’t even bribe her.
I wonder how much of her symptoms is caused by what I’m doing to her. I’m an inexperienced cat handler and she struggles so much. The meds gets all messy on her face and she foams at the mouth from the taste, but she doesn’t even lick herself clean after....she just hides and sit there traumatized.

We are now at emergency again for the second time this week because she hasn’t improved. She’s so sick and lethargic she didn’t even fight me to get into the carrier. She was drooling and panting in the car.

Sorry I’m just rambling here while waiting to be seen by the vet on a busy night. Is this the string? Is it something else? I have no idea I just know she’s sick and I’m making it worse.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps Luna can have a smoother treatment hospitalized at a soothing clinic? By soothing I mean some clinics have too many patients which might also stress out a skittish cat. But maybe you could find a clinic Luna can feel calm?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Shretkat.

All of these medications............for having ingested a 'string'?............WOW !

There are two points that concern me. The first is that you are a self-described "inexperienced cat handler" and you're trying to give liquid meds to a "struggling" cat...........that's a recipe for potential disaster. If the cat 'breathes in' - aspirates - any of those, she could develop a type of pneumonia.

Now, the second concern, from what you said here:
...Multiple vet visits ensued.....She got IV fluids, antibiotics and metacam for her fever, and oral antibiotics to go home with
It sounds like she may have had injections of antibiotics and Metacam then and.......IF that antibiotic was "Convenia", the combination of those two drugs could result in the lethargic, inappetent, unresponsive cat you're seeing now. Those two drugs should never be given together, and the manufacturer of each is quite specific on that (as are the agencies that license and regulate veterinary drugs). Serious adverse reaction can occur with that combination - that could require hospitalization with supportive treatments.

You can find out what she was given by asking or perhaps looking to see exactly what is documented on your bill/receipt.

I'll stop here and await any update.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she'd ingested a string and had a blockage, you would see no eating, no pooping, lethargy, uncomfortable sitting/laying, and vomiting. Metacam can cause lots of problems and I never recommend it. Did they give her a Convenia shot? If so, that can cause extreme lethargy in some cats.

What did you find out at the emergency vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shretkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all thank you for helping me through this.
They didn't find any blockage thank goodness, and they think it might be IBD. Right now the priority is trying to get her to eat and keep it down.
I'm supposed to give her anti nausea pills at home...of course that didn't go well, will have to try again.

I think comparing to the hundreds of youtube videos I've now watched, Luna just refuses to swallow it, no matter how far I put the pill.
I really thought I had her at the last try but I found it all melted in a puddle of spit under the bed...

Shretkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Shretkat.

All of these medications............for having ingested a 'string'?............WOW !

There are two points that concern me. The first is that you are a self-described "inexperienced cat handler" and you're trying to give liquid meds to a "struggling" cat...........that's a recipe for potential disaster. If the cat 'breathes in' - aspirates - any of those, she could develop a type of pneumonia.

Now, the second concern, from what you said here:

It sounds like she may have had injections of antibiotics and Metacam then and.......IF that antibiotic was "Convenia", the combination of those two drugs could result in the lethargic, inappetent, unresponsive cat you're seeing now. Those two drugs should never be given together, and the manufacturer of each is quite specific on that (as are the agencies that license and regulate veterinary drugs). Serious adverse reaction can occur with that combination - that could require hospitalization with supportive treatments.

You can find out what she was given by asking or perhaps looking to see exactly what is documented on your bill/receipt.

I'll stop here and await any update.
She didn't get convenia, it was ampicillin.

I'm not sure I'm having more luck with pills compared to liquid. I will keep trying...

Athenaglaukopis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any kind of pill medication what I do is: grind pill, mix with a bit or water or tuna juice. Grab a lil siringe ( no needle of course) and give it to her that way. Now, watch tooons of videos on how to give liquid meds to a cat so she doesn’t choke. After the meds give her a treat, have the med and treat ready so you can give the treat quickly and start putting some good reinforcement associated with the meds. Eventually it should get easier

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We wrap pills in cheese for our kitties. I usually cut the pill into smaller pieces and wrap. Sometimes I grind the pill and then mash into cheese. American cheese is the preferred cheese. I learned this from the cat only vet.

Shretkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We wrap pills in cheese for our kitties. I usually cut the pill into smaller pieces and wrap. Sometimes I grind the pill and then mash into cheese. American cheese is the preferred cheese. I learned this from the cat only vet.
I should try that! She won't eat any treats but somehow she likes butter.

My strategy tonight was using a pill plunger with pill wrapped in pill pocket. I thought I had her again, she ran off and gagged it out, while growling at me :sigh: must have thought it's poison or something. Well today when I was at work she peed on my bed, so I guess we are even...

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To give my cat pills I swaddle him like a baby using a bath towel, and then sit on the floor and prop him up on my legs. Not all cats tolerate swaddling but for some it can be soothing/calming (like a thunder shirt), might be worth a try.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a pill syringe
Or wrapping the pill in pill dough and then coating it with something she likes, butter or try crushed freeze dried chicken for cats

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As for eating see if she’ll have something lickable like delectables bisque or lickable stews?
Fancy feast “broths” too

Shretkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So...she bit me...no harm there human has health insurance lol
I ended up taking her to the vet for a cerenia shot, opting for the more expensive but less traumatic option.
She is eating and drinking now, even started grooming a little again. I'm VERY happy with the progress. Fingers crossed that it sticks.

Thank you all for the advice and I wish all your kitties healthy and happy.