My Spayed Cat Is Twitching

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s been almost 48 hours since she was spayed and she’s twitching almost like dogs do when they have dreams. I called my vet and she said it’s probably that the incision is itchy or the shirt I’ve put on her could be. So I removed the shirt temporarily but she still has those twitches every few minutes. And she doesn’t really try to lick the incision so is it really that? She’s licking her fur like crazy however. Besides that she’s completely fine and acts almost like normal, except a little tired. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s like her skin or fur is vibrating. I thought it was itchiness at first but could it be something else?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she on any meds related to the spaying? She might be having a mild reaction to them. Has it been going on the entire time since you brought her home? I'd research on the internet the side effects of the meds she is on, and if that doesn't work call the vet and ask if the meds could cause the twitching.

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she on any meds related to the spaying? She might be having a mild reaction to them. Has it been going on the entire time since you brought her home? I'd research on the internet the side effects of the meds she is on, and if that doesn't work call the vet and ask if the meds could cause the twitching.
She's on metacam, and I just checked online and it actually does say skin irritation can occurr as a side effect. Should I stop giving her the medicine? I really don't wanna call my vet again cause she's a bit snobby and if I say I read it could be side effects it feels like she will argue or something. She has two doses left, one for tomorrow and then the day after. She doesn't seem to be in pain at all, it's just that the vet said I need to give it to her.

I saw this online "According to the FDA Metacam Oral Suspension is approved for dogs only, no safe and effective dose is approved for cats. Repeated use has been associated with acute renal failure and death." Now I'm freaked out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't want to advise you either way, because I am not a vet. But, I did several searches myself and none of them listed skin irritation as a plausible side effect. Perhaps the dosage is too high for what she really needs? Are you giving it in oral liquid form?

I hate to say it, but I think you don't have much choice about calling the vet and asking about what you are seeing. If it is in liquid form, perhaps you can ask the vet about reducing the dosage?

After this is all over, you might want to consider finding a different vet. You, nor your cat, should have to deal with someone you don't feel supports you or that you are uncomfortable with.

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't want to advise you either way, because I am not a vet. But, I did several searches myself and none of them listed skin irritation as a plausible side effect. Perhaps the dosage is too high for what she really needs? Are you giving it in oral liquid form?

I hate to say it, but I think you don't have much choice about calling the vet and asking about what you are seeing. If it is in liquid form, perhaps you can ask the vet about reducing the dosage?

After this is all over, you might want to consider finding a different vet. You, nor your cat, should have to deal with someone you don't feel supports you or that you are uncomfortable with.
I've found a few sites listing irritation and itchiness as a side effect. I will call another vet, because mine is quite frankly a b*tch, and always has an attitude. If I call her I'm pretty sure she would say the same thing, that the shirt or the incision is making her twitch. But it's clearly not as she's not attempting to lick the incision and she's just as twitchy without the shirt, and won't stop licking at herself.

I've read a bit about metacam now and it's technically an arthritis medication, and vets can give that after spaying but it's usually for financial gain basically. This worries and angers me a lot, and I don't trust her anymore to ask for her advice. Currently I'm waiting for another vet to call me back. I'm just terrified she will have permanent side effects now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad you are going to consult with another vet. What I read indicates that it generally does not pose issues when used on a short term basis. But, I don't blame you for wanting to try to stop the twitchiness - one less thing to annoy your baby while she is healing!

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are going to consult with another vet. What I read indicates that it generally does not pose issues when used on a short term basis. But, I don't blame you for wanting to try to stop the twitchiness - one less thing to annoy your baby while she is healing!
Apparently all the clinics charge you for consulting even over the phone... I feel so lost right now. She’s twitching a lot and this has never happened before she got spayed. It didn’t even occur before I gave her the first dose of medicine. I want to stop but that feels irresponsible without green lights from a vet. This makes me regret getting her spayed..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Animal shelters, rescue centers - do they charge too for a phone consult? I don't know about the propensity in Sweden for vet universities, but if you have one, I would try them too.

Don't regret getting her spayed. In the long run, it is the best thing for her. I truly don't think there will be long term repercussions to her having the meds for just a brief period of time. The only thing that would concern me is if the dosage is too high for her.

I found this information as a way to determine proper dosage - this calculation was for both post-surgery as well a arthritis relief.

The correct dosage of Metacam for cats is 0.1 mg (milligram) per kg (kilogram) of the cat’s weight as an initial dose followed by 0.05 mg per kg once every 24 hours. The feline oral suspension is 0.5 mg per ml (milliliter). The oral suspension should be shook well before it is administered to the cat.

The correct dosage of Metacam in a cat may be calculated by the following procedure:
• Weigh the cat carefully
• Divide the cat’s weight in pounds by 2.2 to convert it to kilograms (kg)
• Multiply the kilograms (kg) by 0.1 for the initial dose and by 0.05 for the following doses
• To determine the volume to be given to the cat, divide the initial dose you get by 0.5

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've found a few sites listing irritation and itchiness as a side effect.
I think it's a possible side effect for intramuscolar injection, not oral tablet. It kinda makes sense.
Anyway metacam it's a risky drug. Very effective for pain and inflammation management, but with a significant list of possible adverse reactions.
Many vets use it though, expecially in europe, mine too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the twitching is disturbing you, since it only happens when she's asleep make a video of it. Then call a new vet and make an appointment to see them. If the twitching is very disturbing, make a video of it, put her in her carrier and take her to the new vet. Tell them you consider it an emergency.

If they are going to charge you anyway, you might as well go see them. If they refuse an emergency walk-in you don't want them for a vet.

Note I have no idea what the twitching means. I've never seen it before. None of my cats were given pain medicine to take home after being spayed. I assume the vet gave them something at the hospital.