My Spayed Cat Is In Heat

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like she hasn't been spayed properly :(
One of my 2 little angels is now acting like a rotten human, so I decided to lock her so far away so that she stop yowling, also so that the innocent male cat doesn't get attracted/seduced by the rotten.

THE PROBLEM NOW IS: What is going to happen to her if I kept her locked until she's settled down?
Am I allowed to ask the vet to complete the spaying surgery for free; since it's 100% their fault, or report the clinic for refusing/avoiding the issue? I can't deal with this cat anymore.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, keeping her isolated is a very short-term solution. Take her in, preferably while she's in "full cry" so that they SEE what is going on, and ask them what they intend to do about this. IF they refuse to act, FIND ANOTHER VET to help your cat. At that point, there are several things that you can do. Report then to the BBB in your town, leave reviews on Yelp and YP (yellow pages). If worse comes to worst, you may be able to go to small claims court for reimbursement for the corrective surgery, although you would want to research that first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, keeping her isolated is a very short-term solution. Take her in, preferably while she's in "full cry" so that they SEE what is going on, and ask them what they intend to do about this. IF they refuse to act, FIND ANOTHER VET to help your cat. At that point, there are several things that you can do. Report then to the BBB in your town, leave reviews on Yelp and YP (yellow pages). If worse comes to worst, you may be able to go to small claims court for reimbursement for the corrective surgery, although you would want to research that first.
"Take her in" where? Let her roam in the house? she'll just nonstop yowling and annoy everyone(not to mention it's 4 am now). To the vet? According to some articles, they shouldn't do a surgery while she's in heat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but the vet needs to see she's in heat. Maybe a video would suffice.

Also, the reason not to spay when in heat is because the uterus has extra blood flow, but since her uterus is gone now and there's only a sneaky little piece of hormonal tissue hiding somewhere, that shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, it's OK to let her loose even if she "seduces" the male. She can't get pregnant after all. If you need to sleep or do something else without interruptions you could lock her up for a while, but don't do it too long or it might have some long-lasting negative effects on her behavior/mental health.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her in to the vet while she is in heat, so the vet can see it - not so that they can operate that day, but to demonstrate what the issue is.

Wishing you and your little one all the best!

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but the vet needs to see she's in heat. Maybe a video would suffice.

Also, the reason not to spay when in heat is because the uterus has extra blood flow, but since her uterus is gone now and there's only a sneaky little piece of hormonal tissue hiding somewhere, that shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, it's OK to let her loose even if she "seduces" the male. She can't get pregnant after all. If you need to sleep or do something else without interruptions you could lock her up for a while, but don't do it too long or it might have some long-lasting negative effects on her behavior/mental health.
Is it called "hormonal tissue" or ovaries? I need to know to argue properly.
I can't let her loose, she screams all the time nonstop unless isolated very far away from hearing footsteps. Looks like locking her away is the only choice for now :(

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of the ovarian tissue was left which is producing hormones. The vet can check this with a simple blood test. This doesn't mean that the vet is a bad vet, this has happened to even very good vets. She will need to be spayed again and it would be best to do it while she is in heat. The tissue that is left behind will be engorged with blood making it easier to see. Most vets don't charge for a respay when they were the ones that did the original spay.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How long ago was she spayed?
When did her heat cycle start, was it very soon after spaying?
How many cycles has she had since she was spayed?

It is possible that the spay surgery wasn't done properly, but there could be other issues that are making her scream like this.

Please take her to the vet as soon as you can. It will be a lot easier for them to see what is wrong and perform the surgery while she is in heat. If she isn't in heat and has something else wrong with her than she needs immediate attention for that.

Please keep us posted.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies and helping me understanding the problem, I learned a lot.

I took her to the vet, it's a small clinic, the vet's assistant argued a bit and was unsure. But the vet understood right away and is going to re-spay her for free. Although technically I'm still losing money just to get myself to the clinic, aside from time & long-term effort of caring. :(

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good! I'm relieved that both you and your cat will get some rest! There is nothing more frustrating that a cat in heat! It could make a saint throw things.