My Son (cat) Has Lymphoma

Fluffy Pants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, this is my first post. I wish it were under better circumstances...

My son (cat), Ted, had started picking at his kibble in mid-June, which he did from time to time when the kibble wasn't fresh, but he would always gobble down his wet food that I would feed him after work. I didn't think much of it until he stopped eating the kibble altogether and barely ate his wet food nearing the end of July. Needless to say, I began to worry and took him to the vet. They did blood work, which revealed elevated liver enzymes. They recommended an full abdominal ultrasound $400. After that was completed we were told he had slightly thickened intestines and enlarged lymph nodes in area nearby, which indicated IBD or Lymphoma.

The only way to know what to do a biopsy, which was over $2000 or a fine needle aspiration $200-500 dollars. I had so many questions, but was so distraught I don't remember everything clearly. From what I recall I asked if we did the biopsy how large the incision would be and heal time. They said it was large and usually a week or so heal time. They also said they couldn’t start the treatment’s until he was stable. The money wasn’t an issue, his comfort was. He hates car rides and being away from home.

At that time he wasn't eating, nauseous, and far from being himself that I figured he wouldn't make it. Plus I didn't want him suffering with a feeding tube or adnominal pain from the surgery. :( I opted for the needle aspiration, which confirmed lymphoma. They gave me a prognosis of 3-6 months, maybe more or less. Without the biopsy they can't tell what grade it is, so chemo would be a shot in the dark. They said I could do it but since we don't know what's going on he may react poorly or kill him. They gave him a prescription for Prednisolone and he takes it once a day.

He started Prednisolone the day they confirmed the lymphoma 8-07-2017 and it didn’t kick in until the following Monday 8-14-2017.

My Question is the vet seems to think he will be okay for 3-6 months, but everything I’ve read online says a cat on Prednisolone alone can live 30-60 days or something like that. Is anyone else treating with prednisolone alone? How long did they make it before the symptoms popped up again? We go back for a vet visit in a week and I’m wondering if I should ask about the chemo treatment with leukeran.

Either way he is acting alright for now, only has increased thirst and is restless right after the medication is administered. Still is somewhat picky about eating. I mix baby food with his canned food, which makes him eat most of it and he has put on more weight.

To me he is my son. I’ve had him since 2004, he’s now 13. He has been spoiled his entire life. This diagnosis is especially hard for me because I am pregnant with my first, a boy, over halfway through. When I found out Ted was sick it made me sick, I was up late nights just trying to feed him anything he’d eat. I barely ate. I couldn’t focus on my pregnancy. I felt numb, like all the joy was ripped from me, sometimes I still do. Now that his meds are working I feel a bit more relieved, but when he has bad days I share them with him. I find it does help to talk to others, so if you are going through the same thing or have in the past I always have an open ear.

Thanks you listening and any advice is appreciated.

- Lis

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question. I'm sorry I don't really know. If its 1 month or 6 months you have left with him, I would say to try to the best you can to make those last memories happy ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluffy Pants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question. I'm sorry I don't really know. If its 1 month or 6 months you have left with him, I would say to try to the best you can to make those last memories happy ones.
Thank you, I am keeping him comfortable and taking video/pictures of him. I already had tons of pictures of him, but you can't have too many. :)

This will be the first pet I've lost in such a way. The last was sudden and It was a shock, but this is taking a toll on my emotions as there are so many ups and downs.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the forum, Fluffy Pants !

There is a specialized online community of people whose cats have Lymphoma - that's where you are most likely to get the most up to date information and advice (it's certainly where I would be, if I were dealing with this.

They have been online since 1998 (!) and have had almost 4000 members and their cats since then - so, they certainly are knowledgeable about the management of this disease.

They use email as their operating platform....I find that getting a new, separate email account to use strictly for these groups works best for me to manage the info flow....Yahoo is fine.

They are here: Discussion of Feline Lymphoma - Yahoo Group

There's also a website: Feline Lymphoma Caregivers | Home

Hope that helps !

Meantime, don't disappear....keep us updated and we'd love to see some of those pics!

Fluffy Pants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the forum, Fluffy Pants !

There is a specialized online community of people whose cats have Lymphoma - that's where you are most likely to get the most up to date information and advice (it's certainly where I would be, if I were dealing with this.

They have been online since 1998 (!) and have had almost 4000 members and their cats since then - so, they certainly are knowledgeable about the management of this disease.

They use email as their operating platform....I find that getting a new, separate email account to use strictly for these groups works best for me to manage the info flow....Yahoo is fine.

They are here: Discussion of Feline Lymphoma - Yahoo Group

There's also a website: Feline Lymphoma Caregivers | Home

Hope that helps !

Meantime, don't disappear....keep us updated and we'd love to see some of those pics!
Thank you so much for the advice. I will check it out that forum once I get off work. :)

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your Ted. I can truly empathize with you having lost my "soul kitty" to GI small cell lymphoma due to a missed diagnosis, the correct one coming too late to save her.,

Regarding a biopsy, my girl had an endoscopic biopsy where they go down the throat with a camera, take samples send them off to the lab. It is done under general anesthesia, it is not invasive like a surgical biopsy where they cut them open. The cat makes a quick and full recovery. I have had several cats undergo the endoscopic biopsy with good results. Were you offered this option?

This may still be an option to determine staging, however, once a cat is started on Prednisolone, it "masks" the extent of the cancer. This is why most vets caution about starting a steroid prior to a biopsy. You might want to ask the vet about this.

As far as Prednisolone, it is better than nothing and does help the cat for a time, but if chemo were possible in addition, I would opt for that. Most cats do tolerate it very well and if there are any side effects, they can be mitigated with medication. I have one cat now who has been on Prednisolone and chemo (Leukeran) for 9 months and she is doing quite well.

Were they able to determine the type of Lymphoma? Small cell or large cell? Is your cat under the care of your general vet or a Vet Oncologist? A vet oncologist (in my opinion) is best able to advise you on treatment protocols, length of time, etc.

Again, I am so sorry. I know you are terribly distraught. Those of us here having been down this sad road can surely empathize and are here for you with any help and/or support we can offer.

Fluffy Pants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry about your Ted. I can truly empathize with you having lost my "soul kitty" to GI small cell lymphoma due to a missed diagnosis, the correct one coming too late to save her.,

Regarding a biopsy, my girl had an endoscopic biopsy where they go down the throat with a camera, take samples send them off to the lab. It is done under general anesthesia, it is not invasive like a surgical biopsy where they cut them open. The cat makes a quick and full recovery. I have had several cats undergo the endoscopic biopsy with good results. Were you offered this option?

This may still be an option to determine staging, however, once a cat is started on Prednisolone, it "masks" the extent of the cancer. This is why most vets caution about starting a steroid prior to a biopsy. You might want to ask the vet about this.

As far as Prednisolone, it is better than nothing and does help the cat for a time, but if chemo were possible in addition, I would opt for that. Most cats do tolerate it very well and if there are any side effects, they can be mitigated with medication. I have one cat now who has been on Prednisolone and chemo (Leukeran) for 9 months and she is doing quite well.

Were they able to determine the type of Lymphoma? Small cell or large cell? Is your cat under the care of your general vet or a Vet Oncologist? A vet oncologist (in my opinion) is best able to advise you on treatment protocols, length of time, etc.

Again, I am so sorry. I know you are terribly distraught. Those of us here having been down this sad road can surely empathize and are here for you with any help and/or support we can offer.
They did not offer the endo biopsy. Possibly because of the location of the thickened intestines. As for the findings, I don't recall a grade being diagnosed only that they found lymphoma cells. Seeing my cat suffering for nearing two weeks, I didn't want to wait and weigh my options, I wanted to start some sort of treatment to at least keep him comfortable.

When I go back and talk to my Vet I am going to mention the Leukeran, as it seems to be the go to for GI lymphoma treatments, that is unless she thinks he won't do well on it.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your experience, I will check and see if the hospital he goes to has an oncologist because I do not think his current vet is one. She did however say we could start a chemo treatment if I wanted, but said not knowing the full extent of his disease may make him worse if treated with an improper protocol.

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He started Prednisolone the day they confirmed the lymphoma 8-07-2017 and it didn’t kick in until the following Monday 8-14-2017.

My Question is the vet seems to think he will be okay for 3-6 months, but everything I’ve read online says a cat on Prednisolone alone can live 30-60 days or something like that. Is anyone else treating with prednisolone alone? How long did they make it before the symptoms popped up again? We go back for a vet visit in a week and I’m wondering if I should ask about the chemo treatment with leukeran.
Our case was similar to yours. Kitty was diagnosed with what they thought it was large cell lymphoma (we only did a needle aspirate and the results were not conclusive). Chemo was not an option because of the advanced state of the disease, so we opted with prednisolone alone. After 3 weeks of being diagnosed he passed away, you could not tell that he was going to die the next day. It was unusual, as he was the one deciding to end his time, he went found a quiet place to rest forever, very sad, but at least we did not have to make the awful decision, he ultimately chose when the time came.

Now, I don't know how accurate this is, but the vet told us that if prednisolone works very fast (which is not your case) then the disease is advanced and there is not much you can do. That was the case for Kitty, as soon as we started with prednisolone he improved very fast, in just one day we could see improvement, then it went downhill really fast 2 weeks later. Maybe yours has small cell pymphoma and that is a better prognosis.

Fluffy Pants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our case was similar to yours. Kitty was diagnosed with what they thought it was large cell lymphoma (we only did a needle aspirate and the results were not conclusive). Chemo was not an option because of the advanced state of the disease, so we opted with prednisolone alone. After 3 weeks of being diagnosed he passed away, you could not tell that he was going to die the next day. It was unusual, as he was the one deciding to end his time, he went found a quiet place to rest forever, very sad, but at least we did not have to make the awful decision, he ultimately chose when the time came.

Now, I don't know how accurate this is, but the vet told us that if prednisolone works very fast (which is not your case) then the disease is advanced and there is not much you can do. That was the case for Kitty, as soon as we started with prednisolone he improved very fast, in just one day we could see improvement, then it went downhill really fast 2 weeks later. Maybe yours has small cell pymphoma and that is a better prognosis.

Oh, I'm so very sorry for your loss. :( Poor Kitty. I'm sure you gave him a great life and an even better 3 weeks. I'm glad Kitty got to go on his own terms and drifted away in peace in a space he thought was suitable. I'm so worried about having to put my babe down if he gets bad again. It's so painful to think about, but I know I'd rather him be at peace than keeping him alive to make myself feel better.

Thank you for sharing your story, as painful as it was.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You say they did not offer an endoscopic biopsy due to location of the thickened intestines. I presume location was determined through GI Ultrasound?

If the thickening is in the stomach or small intestines, they go down the throat. If the thickening is in the ileum or colon, they go up the rectum. I have cats where they did one, and another cat where they did both.

I don't know if biopsy as I described is still an option to determine what kind of Lymphoma your Ted has, as well as the staging. There is small cell lymphoma, slower growing, more treatable, and there is large cell, more aggressive, but still likely treatable.

I really think if possible, you should get more definitive diagnosis so you and your Vet will know what you are dealing with and how best to treat. A Vet Oncologist is your best bet.

Being hit with this so suddenly is devastating I know. Been there, done that!
For me, just being able to treat was important. Remember, you can always discontinue treatment if he does not tolerate. But at least you gave it a chance.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you considered chemo? It is chlorambucil pills given at home. Most kitties tolerate it very well.