My sister Linda's life is balancing on the edge.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you remember I've talked here the last few months about my sister, Linda. To briefly sum it up, she noticed a spot on her foot of January this year, but it took 7 months, 6 office visits, and 3 different doctors before it was diagnosed as acral lentiginous melanoma. And by September she was stage III of a particularly aggressive cancer.

Linda's my sister by birth, but the role she's played in my life has always been mom.

She had surgery in October and 15 lymph nodes were removed, 5 turned out to be cancerous. The cancer was cut out of her foot, and she was left with wound vacs, lymph drains, 18" of incision, and no heel. She now has an additional 8" incision in her leg from last week's surgery to put a graft on her heel. Through all of this, she has not been able to tolerate any pain killers except Tylenol!

There have been problems; one wound vac quit working and didn't even have enough power to give the warning beep, so she got an infection and a huge healing setback. On the second surgery, she was given glucose (although it's on her chart not to) and her blood sugar zoomed up and that has been another healing setback. She had to endure side effects from 3 insulins before finding a 4th that her body could tolerate.

Her healing has been very slow, but she is fighting and trying to keep a positive attitude.

Now we are at the crossroads. Next week, Linda will have a test done to check that there are no cancerous tumors in her body, in which case she will be a candidate for interferon, which is her best hope for beating this.

She also needs to be healed by the end of December so she can take the interferon, otherwise the window where the drug is effective will be closing and it will no longer be a treatment option.

I know this is all depressing and I thank you very much for having read this far. I talked to Linda on the phone for a while this morning -she's been too tired and sick the last two days to talk- and she asked about you guys here at TCS, kind of out of the blue. (In the past, I have told her each time I've started a thread about her, and then told her how many responses were sending good thoughts, vibes, and prayers.)

She's always been so grateful for your responses here, there's something great in numbers like that! I believe she asked about you guys because she feels she needs a little boost - something strong and positive!

I guess it's no exaggeration to say that this month we will find out how long she has to live. If you could say a quick prayer or send some vibes to Linda in Texas, we would both be very, very grateful. I will pass on any responses to her.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending many many and prayers for strength for both of you, and for Linda's healing to pick up and allow her to continue treatment and beat this thing. Please give her our love.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and your sister are just amazing, and she has my continued thoughts, prayers, and at this time! I know that good things have already happened, and I believe that they will continue to come to you both!

to both of you!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many good vibes that all will turn out well, and that you and she will be stress free for Christmas and into 2010

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She will be in my prayers and in my heart. And so will you. I have wondered about her quite often since your original post.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I continue to be amazed at the utter determination and strength Linda has shown through this whole ordeal. I'm so sorry things are so precarious right now. Keep fighting!

I am also so touched to see the sibling bond you two have. It is so precious and I'm sure a great comfort to you both, and something that can never be broken!

Healing thoughts flowing here....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just said a prayer and will light a candle this evening. Linda has been and remains in my thoughts, and I'm boosting those vibes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for you both.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am amazed at your sisters determination! She is obviously a fighter, and a very strong woman for all she has been through/continues to go through.

Sending many, many, many her way. For her to pull through. I sure do hope the tests come back that there is no more cancer developing in her body. You are a wonderful sister for being there for her through these tough times.

to you and your sister. I hope she is healed enough for this treatment which could possibly save her!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are my for your sister and you. I hope they work, and I hope she can get the treatment she needs to get through this!!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending many many vibes to Linda!
What an ordeal she's been through, she certainly is a fighter. I hope she can get on the Interferon soon.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending many many vibes that you get positive news next week and can start the Interferon ASAP. Hope you're doing ok too

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This has just been such a sad few months for you, Cat.... I am so sorry about everything. Im sending prayers and vibes ..... that things turn around for her. ~hugs~

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

She's always been so grateful for your responses here, there's something great in numbers like that! I believe she asked about you guys because she feels she needs a little boost - something strong and positive!

I guess it's no exaggeration to say that this month we will find out how long she has to live. If you could say a quick prayer or send some vibes to Linda in Texas, we would both be very, very grateful. I will pass on any responses to her.
If anyone deserves anything, it's Linda. I'm always checking for updates on her and will keep all of you close. Tis the season for heartfelt wishes and dreams. Keep the faith!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many many many many many many many many many vibes for you and
Linda

Where in Texas is she?
When you come here, if it is in the Dallas/Forth Worth Area... Let me know if you need anything at all... A ride from the airport... something picked up... There are many of us here - I am glad to help, and I am sure others would be too

Be well and strong!
Here is for Linda's Cancer cells to go bye bye!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh darlin, my heart is with you both, and yes, my special just-a-couple-hundred-miles-away vibes are flowing over to Linda right now.