My Sick Feral

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

One of my ferals has always been a sickly guy. He sounds stuffy and looks rough. The other day I saw him up close (he never lets me get too close) and there was a string of thick yellowish drool hanging from his mouth. There was also a bit of dried blood around his nose and some film over the corners of his eyes (eyelid?). He looks terrible, but he always has.

This past October he looked so sick I was afraid he would die. I got help from a lady at a nearby rescue and we caught him in a drop trap, since he will no longer approach a regular trap after being neutered. The vet gave him a shot of convenia and a box of antibiotics if needed. After I released him he disappeared for months. When he came back I tried to treat him with the antibiotics but he didn't come around every day and I had to throw it away after 10 days.

Could it be calici? I don't know what to do to help him. The other three cats seem much healthier than him. I put l-lysine in their food every day. I don't want to stress us both out by trying to trap him again for another shot of convenia that didn't even seem to help much.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does he get any of the lysine? I have found lysine to be hit or miss. I have been using a product for immune support by Vetri Science called
Vetri-Science Vetri-DMG Dog & Cat Supplement
It works very well. It is pretty is tasteless and a liquid.

He may very well have another infection. I doubt you can trap him again so supplementing him as best you can may be all you can do. Certainly you can try the drop trap again. If you do happen to trap him again, I would seriously consider trying to keep him inside. I have brought 2 of my feral boys inside and it can be done. It just takes time and patience. This boy seems very susceptible to URI infections.

I also have had luck with giving antibiotics in tablet form by adding them to chicken flavored gel caps. I just break the tablet in half and place inside the chicken gel cap. Then pop it into wet food. Most of my feral boys will take medication or worming meds this way.

I hope that you can find a way to help him. It is so hard to watch them.

Another thought, has he been tested for FIV or FELV?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont have much medical advices. What you did sounds good.

What I want to say, now when he is much sick, its also a good time to try and get him fostered. If its possible for you.
When he is sick, and he knows he is sick, and you help him, and he knows YOU are helping him, the window of easy socialization opens up again.
IF he survives this crisis, he will also be easily socialized as a direct result of this... Sometimes it goes astonishingly quickly.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Can you foster him? Sometimes sick kitties become tame when they realize we are helping them. Try to trap him and bring him to be looked at. Probably need another shot of Convenia and maybe a good dental look around when they have him under to see if teeth have abscesses.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats respond to Convenia. You can order some Fishmox, which is Amoxicillin that is legal to purchase without a script because it's for fish, but can be used for humans and cats (I can tell you the dose if you're interested, I just need to look in my pet med box). They are capsules you can mix with water and then put into tuna fish or some other wet food. You give it to him once or twice a day for 7-10 days and that should clear up the infection. No cat tolerates the pink liquid antibiotics that the vet prescribes very well, even in tuna.

Cal Vet Supply - Amoxicillin 250 mg. - Online antibiotic, Fish Amoxicillin

If you are able to trap him and get him to a vet, have him tested for FIV. Mouth infections are very common for cats who have advanced stage of Feline AIDS, and you may need to seek a vet's input on what the most humane course of action may be. Or it may just be a tooth infection that can be cleared up with the antibiotics. If you got him to a vet, you would have peace of mind and know. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ shadows. Yes, I have been putting half of the tablet on a separate plate for him (actually a tortilla, haha), and I've seen him eating it. He actually looks better today, no drool. I think whatever he has goes in cycles. I will look into the supplement you suggested.

No, he has not been tested.

StefanZ StefanZ and foxxycat foxxycat Unfortunately I can't bring him in. I have four cats of my own in a small apartment. I hate that my ferals have to be out there, especially since two of them aren't feral at all, but I try to take care of them as best I can.

msaimee msaimee Yes, please give me the info for fishmox. I have heard of it but never used it. Should keep some handy.

Anyone ever try a product called Vibactra? I was debating trying it on him.

Thank you all for the advice!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have different cats from various colonies who have been integrated into my backyard colony (which was a good arrangement for 54 years until a mountain lion attack) and I have found that natural support with the occasional Biomoxx or Clindamycin treatment works well. I also use herbs (a family tradition as I am a descendant of healers) but I recommend that you consult with a holistic vet (there are some online, too) and inquire about using marshmallow root (excellent for breathing and soothing to internal membranes); slippery elm; licorice root; red raspberry and also see what other herbs that they recommend. Please keep us updated! and be encouraged - I had a couple of kitties who were sickly like that for the first two years of their lives yet got much better this summer and stayed healthy during our recent brutal winter!