Status
Not open for further replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Vets who will make house calls are increasing in numbers.
I tried one a couple years ago because my guy hates everything about going to the vet.

Not to hijack the thread, but as an example of what to look for, --the vet's nylon bags reminded Poppy of his softside carrier that I used to use, which was a bad way to start the visit.

Plus, this vet does a referral if blood work is required/blood needs to be drawn, and of course dental cleaning also needs to be done in an office. (I don't know if that's typical regarding the blood draw.).

I tried it because I wanted to know if, when the time comes, this might be an option for in-home euthanasia.

I'm still not sure, to tell you the truth. I might give it one more try, maybe...

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Vets who will make house calls are increasing in numbers.
I tried one a couple years ago because my guy hates everything about going to the vet.

Not to hijack the thread, but as an example of what to look for, --the vet's nylon bags reminded Poppy of his softside carrier that I used to use, which was a bad way to start the visit.

Plus, this vet does a referral if blood work is required/blood needs to be drawn, and of course dental cleaning also needs to be done in an office. (I don't know if that's typical regarding the blood draw.).

I tried it because I wanted to know if, when the time comes, this might be an option for in-home euthanasia.

I'm still not sure, to tell you the truth. I might give it one more try, maybe...
Thank you!

So the jury is out on Home Vets atm. I like the idea of, if it ever / when it comes to the point we have to let our babies go, that is an option. We don't have those here that I know of.

It would be awesome to for regular yearly shots for the "I'm too shy" or 'No way are you taking me to the dr!" types. Way less stress on kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NovaLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
F FeralHearts I really liked the vet who came to see him at home and I’ve been able to badger her with non stop emails which is helpful since we don’t have another vet. It’s a great idea for a normal checkup or maybe mild symptoms, but ours sent us straight to ER, so all in all big expense for both ER and at home visit that day. We went through this company called Vet Pronto, I believe they have a network all over.

Nova is Much worse today, despite 4 days of steroids. He can hardly walk a few steps, he has been peeing under himself most of the time (though a few times made it to the bathroom or even into the litter box), and he looks so sad and miserable. Still eating, drinking, and his breathing still looks good so I guess the fluid didn’t fill back up in his chest yet. We rated him a 32 on the quality of life scale today :(

Tomorrow we are doing in-home euthanasia. We felt the choice was either that or taking him in for a blood transfusion immediately and possibly chest tap in a few days followed my chemo which just all seems unlikely given how bad he already is feeling. It’s the worst and most gut wrenching decision I’ve ever had to make. I feel so guilty that we didn’t do more to try to save him and can’t shake the feeling that it could be an infection even though the vets said unlikely and the chest fluid showed some large lymphoma cells. I do wish I followed through with more diagnostics more for me than nova.

Nova has been the best cat in the world and the greatest happiness to my every day. I was so lucky to adopt him 12 years ago, and even to the last day his personality hasn’t changed and he’s been my little sweet loving boy.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have home vets here yet when I am in Canada. California, and my area, seem to share the same expensive rates for Vets - ER vets are even more. I've been in ER about a dozen times the last 6 months too. Ouch!

I'm glad the one that came has been so kind and communicative. Bless her.

I am so sorry to hear that his quality is so poor and that you're had to make that choice. XOXOXOX Never easy to do.

I've been down this road more than once myself. (I'm sure many on the site have been too) - so you're not alone. You are making the best decision you can for Nova based on the situation. XOXOXOXOXOXO

You did everything you could for him. Until we can teach them to speak in full sentences - definitively - we can only do what we can do.

I know saying don't feel guilty - won't stop you from feeling that way. Those 'what-if's' we torture ourselves with are awful. You ARE making the best choices for Nova that you can and you have always done that. I hope one day you can see that you did.

Nova - I'm sure feels the love and has a good long life with you!

XOXOXOXOXOXX Sending you love and a massive virtual hug to you and Nova.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NovaLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nova died this morning 3 hours before his scheduled euthanasia appointment. It was the most heartbreaking and painful thing I have ever witnessed. He waited for me to wake up and walk into the living room, and as I lifted him onto the couch he started seizing up, crying, and panting then his heart stopped about 15 minutes later. I was at his side til the last breath. I’m obviously one of those idiots that waited too long to make the call.

I feel like he only got worse since starting steroids. I am completely grief stricken and I hope the day will come one day I no longer blame myself, but for now I’m completely inconsolable.

Thank you all for the kind words, it really helped to have this place to share my thoughts.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nova died this morning 3 hours before his scheduled euthanasia appointment. It was the most heartbreaking and painful thing I have ever witnessed. He waited for me to wake up and walk into the living room, and as I lifted him onto the couch he started seizing up, crying, and panting then his heart stopped about 15 minutes later. I was at his side til the last breath. I’m obviously one of those idiots that waited too long to make the call.

I feel like he only got worse since starting steroids. I am completely grief stricken and I hope the day will come one day I no longer blame myself, but for now I’m completely inconsolable.

Thank you all for the kind words, it really helped to have this place to share my thoughts.
BIGGEST MOST MASSIVE HUG EVER! I'm crying with you.:bawling::bawling: I know there is nothing that can be said to ease you right now but still...

You are not an idiot - you did everything you could. Nova waited for you too. She knew how loved she was.

We are with you. :grouphug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.