My Sarcastic Rant Of The Day!

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We probably all know someone who is looking for a job. I have compiled some tips on how to be supportive and helpful to the job seeker in your life:

1. Make sure to ask the job seeker EVERY TIME you encounter him or her, "So, have you found a job yet?" Consistency is important.

2. If the person has not yet found a job, make sure to ask why he or she has not found one yet. Clearly, this silly person must have a reason that he or she chooses to be poor, and it is your right, after all to know all of the job seeker's business.

3. Make a helpful list of all of the flaws that the job seeker has which might prevent him or her from getting a job. Be very specific, and make sure to include at least one flaw from each of the following categories: personality, attitude, intellectual ability, and physical appearance.

4. When making use of tip #3, it is imperative that there be at least 5 other people present. Having an audience will boost the job seeker's confidence.

5. Be prepared with a list of at least ten other people you know that were able to find a great, high-paying dream job quickly without even trying. Be sure to focus on how successful these people are and how much more money they make than the job seeker. This will give the person much needed self-esteem.

6. Finally, make sure that the job seeker knows the steps to take in order to find a job, such as putting together a resume, looking for jobs, and applying for jobs. Since the job seeker is not employed, he or she clearly does not know that he or she needs to do these things. It is your responsibility to let him or her know.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:redtongue: That is a very good list!! It is just as frustrating as the advice that I am given about my brain-damaged daughter who is having other health issues. She has lost over 80lbs in the span of a year and I have heard, "Have you tried taking her to a doctor?" so much that sometimes I snap, "Oh yes, and to the gastroenterologist so I guess I'll have to find her a veterinarian next"....I wonder, what are people thinking? :frustrated:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to both of you about your struggles :alright:, but I have to admit you made me laugh. :lol:
It's super frustrating when people try to give you "helpful" advice that essentially makes you think, that they think your a moron. :drool: Or better yet, after you've told them what you've tried or done, they come back and tell you EXACTLY what you JUST SAID you already did! :doh:

T tabbysia - You'll get there!!!:cheerleader::goodluck:

catsknowme catsknowme - I wish your daughter a speedy return to health. :vibes::heartshape:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is funny, unfortunately it is true. I don't know why people insist on offering unsolicited advice, just tell the person that you are sorry when they lose a job. After that keep your mouth shut on the subject unless asked for advice.

The same is true of medical issues.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He must have gotten that from Dr. Phil! He says that in every show that involves a person that won't get a job.[/QUOTE

yes, Dr. Phil does. It also rankles me when the underemployment are told to go find a better paying job. It's difficult to put in applications and go to interviews when you're on the clock

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, you forgot "Have you tried getting a degree? These days a high school diploma just won't cut it." If they reply they have an AA, Bachelor's, and a Master's, ask them if they considered getting a doctorate, berate them for wasting time on the AA, inform them that their degree choices aren't 'real' degrees, or ask them how that applies to their current job, even if they're working in the field of their degree. Or tell them they're over-educated, and intimidating the interview people because they have too much education.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am under the ADA. Numerous cognitive problems. I quit my job after being there 21 years. The way we work has changed and I had difficulty adjusting. A few months later, they put me back on the schedule. I am back at work but need help. I tried college but since I cannot follow a lecture, I left after 2 years. Finding a job was very hard. Even casheiring is difficult. I tried to get from the Texas workforce commision for vocational rehabilitation services. I have not heard back.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We probably all know someone who is looking for a job. I have compiled some tips on how to be supportive and helpful to the job seeker in your life:

1. Make sure to ask the job seeker EVERY TIME you encounter him or her, "So, have you found a job yet?" Consistency is important.

2. If the person has not yet found a job, make sure to ask why he or she has not found one yet. Clearly, this silly person must have a reason that he or she chooses to be poor, and it is your right, after all to know all of the job seeker's business.

3. Make a helpful list of all of the flaws that the job seeker has which might prevent him or her from getting a job. Be very specific, and make sure to include at least one flaw from each of the following categories: personality, attitude, intellectual ability, and physical appearance.

4. When making use of tip #3, it is imperative that there be at least 5 other people present. Having an audience will boost the job seeker's confidence.

5. Be prepared with a list of at least ten other people you know that were able to find a great, high-paying dream job quickly without even trying. Be sure to focus on how successful these people are and how much more money they make than the job seeker. This will give the person much needed self-esteem.

6. Finally, make sure that the job seeker knows the steps to take in order to find a job, such as putting together a resume, looking for jobs, and applying for jobs. Since the job seeker is not employed, he or she clearly does not know that he or she needs to do these things. It is your responsibility to let him or her know.
My favorite ones are the long retired who go into a long winded speech about how they got a job in the 1980's and the job seeker should do exactly what they did because clearly nothing has changed since then.

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh, yeah. The "ignore all the signs telling you how to apply, and just harass them until they hire you!" ploy. That actually gets you blacklisted as someone who can't read basic instructions these days.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am under the ADA. Numerous cognitive problems. I quit my job after being there 21 years. The way we work has changed and I had difficulty adjusting. A few months later, they put me back on the schedule. I am back at work but need help. I tried college but since I cannot follow a lecture, I left after 2 years. Finding a job was very hard. Even casheiring is difficult. I tried to get from the Texas workforce commision for vocational rehabilitation services. I have not heard back.
:alright: That is rugged - have you asked your state representative's office for help? It is so sad that they are not listening to you. My daughter has left-brain damage and almost all of the programs are for different types of intellectual difficulties; we are taking a break right now, from all the emotional upheaval that comes from trying to force fit.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, you must know my Dad. He makes a point to call my son and remind him of every one of those items on your list. But, you forgot one for people in college.
"I wouldn't bother with your major because you'll never make it. Go into business like I did".
My son is studying to be a Clinical Psychologist (and on the Deans List), but that's not good enough for him.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh, yeah. The "ignore all the signs telling you how to apply, and just harass them until they hire you!" ploy. That actually gets you blacklisted as someone who can't read basic instructions these days.
VERY much like the old "I worked to pay my way through college so why don't these young people? They just want everything given to them for free".

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
VERY much like the old "I worked to pay my way through college so why don't these young people? They just want everything given to them for free".
I pointed that one out to my mom, with minimum wage back then vs now, tuition then vs now, and how many hours you'd have to work to do the pay your way through college thing nowadays. I don't have the info in front of me now, but it basically boiled down to "with a part time job back then, and maybe an extra side job over the summer, at a not-too-expensive college, you could do it" vs "try it now, and you'd die of exhaustion because class hours, homework hours, and necessary work hours to earn enough to do this at even a cheap college add up to too little time left per week to sleep, let alone shop for food, bathe, etc." She stared at me, then told me I must be wrong, refused to look at my math, and changed the subject.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: That is rugged - have you asked your state representative's office for help? It is so sad that they are not listening to you. My daughter has left-brain damage and almost all of the programs are for different types of intellectual difficulties; we are taking a break right now, from all the emotional upheaval that comes from trying to force fit.
I work retail at Target. Luckily, my managers know about me and have been patient with me. It may or may not work out. I have not been able to complete all tasks required of my job.