My sadistic furball almost brought a live rat inside! 🤦🏻‍♀️

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As an aside, don't rats have fleas as well?

I thought that would be something worth considering; if your cat is coming into contact with rats, I would be sure to treat regularly for fleas. I was under the impression that cats can also pick up fleas from grass as well?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To my knowledge, most, if not all owls eat prey whole, or, at the very least, in very large chunks with the bone.
I guess it depends on the size of the prey vs. the size of the bird.

For great horned owl, a mouse would probably be swallowed whole or mostly whole but a larger animal would be eviscerated, torn to pieces and swallowed in chunks.

I've seen a red tailed hawk do just that. I lived near an airport and they encouraged hawks to nest in the area in order to keep the pigeon population in check.

I just came home from work and walked out of the garage, to the house, when I stumbled on a red tailed hawk eating a pigeon. It had both feet on the pigeon's breast and was pulling it apart with its beak and talons. I stepped back and watched for a minute until the hawk had enough of me. It picked up the pigeon and flew away to finish its lunch in privacy.

It was kinda' cool! :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie is treated for fleas every month ..... honestly I would be more worried about ticks. I bought a tick key just in case.

Once I saw a hawk up on the trellis eat a pigeon. All that was left on the ground were feathers.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet says wherever there are mammals there fleas, this includes squirrels, voles, shrews, mice everything. they are in the dirt, you bring them home on your trouser cuffs.

I can deal with fleas and cats being grumpy and fighting, and scratching me, but dang ticks pretty much make me faint.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie caught & injured a fledgling dove today. Apparently it is fledgling season; so I need to look for them on the ground..... to make sure Jackie doesn’t get near them! So I called my local raptor center & they picked it up. Hopefully it will survive! ⭐I’m going to have to donate $ to them out of guilt over what the little dove will cost them!

Here is a picture of Jackie feeling no shame as he suns himself by the birdbath. C2CF20EF-C710-4591-8970-7530171715AE.jpeg

53D1E793-F60C-42B8-B53D-8D78F7B391F1.jpeg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember walking to the end of my driveway and finding a pigeon in a circle of feathers. Snatched him and rushed him to the nearest vet. He did not survive. When I got home there was a large, rather pissed off looking brown and white hawk standing in the center of the circle of feathers. I think I rescued his lunch. It's a tough life being a bird.