My roommate's cat pees in my room

marsha figg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn't pee anywhere else in the house, only in my room. I think maybe it's because I used to have a cat here.
She's sterilized (it started when she wasn't sterilized yet), and quite paranoid in general, she's especially afraid of hands.
In the beginning my roommate used to sometimes leave her sandbox outside for several hours without her having access to it. He doesn't anymore, but maybe that's how it started. He does clean her sandbox quite often. There's also a dog- his golden retriever that demands much attention. They fight sometimes but usually they live peacefully together.
My roommate tried playing with her and feeding her in my room, didn't help. She does use her sandbox. He wanted to bring a cat behaviourist but unfortunately he can't afford it.
Any advice, anyone? I'm desperate.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all your room mate needs to take her to the vet to see if she has a medical condition.

If you get the all clear you should grab some enzymatic cleaner, cleaning with it will kill the smell for the kitty. If she can't smell anything she's less likely to return to problem spot.

Is it possible to keep the door shut so that she can't go in? It may take about a month to break her of her habit.

Unfortunately, you don't say where in your room she is peeing. There are lots of things you could try. If she's going on the floor you could place a litter tray there. If she pees in it, it would be a matter of very slowly moving it (a matter of inches) toward and finally out the door.

You could try feeding her for about a week on the (now clean) spot where she goes, cats don't tend to like to go where they eat. It worked for me.  

If she is going on mats, you'd just need to pick them up for awhile. Cats who like to pee on soft things will stop going there if you place plastic over it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marsha figg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, thanks for the answer!

I see that an enzymatic cleaner is quite expensive (around 20$), I don't think my broke roommate could afford it. Is there a cheaper solution, maybe using common household cleaners? I found a natural recipe online but it takes 3 months...

I keep the door to my room closed when I leave the house, but that's not a solution. I didn't mention it but she only pees here when nobody's home.

Once she peed a lot on my bed, when her sandbox was unavailable. In general she pees on the carpet and the floor. We tried feeding her here but it didn't help. She does regularly pee in her sandbox too, in my room it's usually just when nobody's home and the door's open.

purrfectmisha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since you are limited on cash you can clean the spots with vinegar and spray some citrus over the place, cat's don't like the smell of citrus and vinegar works well for the odour kill.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people here swear by hard plastic mats used for the bathroom, they place them upside down, cats hate walking on them. If you can't afford that, grab a plastic groundsheet or painters sheet from somewhere like Walmart and place it over the places she goes. Make sure it's thick enough that the cat can't dig into it or lift it up.  You should only need have this down for a month at the most. 

PurrfectMisha is correct, you can use white vinegar and water, These instructions include cleaning your carpet:

Be careful with the citrus, particularly indoors. Personally, I wouldn't use it at all. 

Toxin  
Citrus Oil Extract (Limonene and Linalool).

Source  
Citrus oil extracts such as those found in insecticidal sprays, dips, shampoos, insect repellents, food additives, and fragrances.

General Information  
d-Limonene and linalool are citrus oils with insecticidal properties. These are metabolized in the liver resulting in liver damage or failure.

Toxic Dose  
Cats are more sensitive than dogs. The toxic dose for ingestion of d-limonene in dogs is 308 grams per pound of body weight. If cats are treated with dog products, the result may be fatal. Linalool exposure causes more severe clinical signs for a longer duration than d-limonene. If the product also contains piperonyl butoxide, the toxic effects of citrus oil extracts may be increased.

Signs  
Strong citrus smell to the skin, drooling, depression, weakness, hypothermia, trembling, ataxia, falling, low blood pressure, and dermatitis  especially severe in the scrotal and perineal  areas. Death may occur.

Last edited: