My Resident Cat Is Depressed Since New Kitten

PinkSox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

So about a week ago I adopted a 13 week old kitten. I had been contemplating adding a second cat to my house for about 6 months or so as my resident cat would cry loudly when I left for work in the morning and when I came home. He's 2 years old, but is still a very energetic boy. He can easily play for 2-4 hours in a day (Not straight, but total) if given the chance, but my dear kitty boy was extremely clingy... he hated playing alone and would mostly only play when I played with him (Chase and wands are his favorite). He was so clingy he would get quite upset if I left him on weekends as he expected me to spend those days entirely playing and lounging with him. After doing some research I thought maybe if he had a kitty friend that would alleviate some of this behavior, specifically because when I adopted him (He was 8 months) he had been living with a woman and was quite bonded to her cat, so much so that he continuously followed the other cat around when I first met him and tried to interact with him. I even witnessed him cuddling with her cat!

Naturally, because of his previous behavior I assumed he would welcome a new cat with open arms, so I adopted my brand, new little kitten with high hopes, but decided to play it safe and do a slow introduction. I separated them completely for the first day, but as soon as I brought the new kitten home, my resident cat new something was amiss. He could smell the new kitten on my hands and for the first time ever hissed at me and even bopped me with his paw!

Even with the kitten locked in the bathroom my cat was not pleased at all, but I persisted in trying to make things work. I separated the two with a baby gate and started playing with the kitten where my cat could see us play. By day 4, I let them meet as there wasn't any hissing/growling through the baby gate or door at this point.

The introduction didn't involve any hissing or growling, but my cat seemed rather indifferent and started acting depressed and ignoring me and the kitten almost completely. By day 5 my cat and the kitten had begun playing together, but my cat doesn't want to play with the kitten for very long and he still acts relatively depressed. It's been an entire week now and my cat still doesn't seem to like the new kitten. He'll play with him briefly, but spends most of his time ignoring me and the kitten. Before my cat was extremely clingy and now he acts like I've ruined his life! He refuses to get on the couch when the kitten and I are lounging on the couch together and will not join in any games between the kitten and I. He'll play with me individually or with the kitten (Briefly) but he doesn't seem to want to be around the kitten AT ALL!

It's difficult because when I put the kitten up, my cat gets really happy and more affectionate with me, unfortunately, the kitten is super clingy with me and constantly follows me and wants me to pick him up and hold him. Basically both boys want my attention but my resident cat wants ONLY my attention where as the kitten seems fine with my cat and wants to be around me.

My question is... how normal is this behavior? I had read a lot of information about this but most of the time people have complained of hissing and growling between the cats whereas in my case there isn't a lot of violence involved, just dislike on my cat's part? So is this normal? Will my cat forgive me? Why does my cat dislike the kitten so much (I chose a kitten that I observed playing very nicely with his litter mate, so he enjoys other cats!)?

Any insight into this would be great!

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently still going through an introduction of sorts. Possy (2yo) lived with another cat her whole life, Starlina who passed away a few weeks ago.

They got along like two peas in a pod. A little over a week ago I adopted two kittens from the humane society.
They are now all loose in the house since Possy aside from hissing and growling at the gate, didn’t seem to be aggressive towards them. She is slowly returning to her normal behaviors but will hiss and growl if they get to close to her. No aggression but frustration.

I will say this, she has gotten a lot better, even over the short period of time. Just be patient with your resident kitty. It’s a big change to have a new rascal running around the house!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Hopefully in time your older cat and kitten will be best buds. :catlove:

But for now make sure you spend lots of time with your older cat, so he know he's not being replaced. Maybe even tell him the kitten is his baby sister/brother and you love them both. :petcat:

Here's a short TCS article on The Multi-cat Household that might be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PinkSox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

Thanks for the tips. I did read the article rubysmama and the only thing I think I need to do is maybe get a second water dish so they don’t have to share that. They do have separate food dishes. I know I have been trying to give my older cat some individual TLC but I feel bad because the kitten wants so badly to be involved! He will try to jump in when I’m giving my older cat love as he wants love too and also wants to play with my older cat. As soon as the kitten gets involved, my older cat no longer wants to be pet/played with. It’s frustrating cuz the kitten is very amiable towards him.

My older kitty boy was my first cat ever and my new kitten is the first time I have ever had two so I’m not entirely familiar with the process. I did read up a lot on the subject but cats don’t seem to be like dogs in that one size doesn’t fit all. I have a friend who has a cat that simply hates all other cats but likes dogs and I know someone else that has a cat that adores other cats and loves to cuddle up with any other cats that happen to be in the house, even visitor cats!

They do seem to be doing a bit better together lately as far as playing and such goes but I’m still pretty sure that my cat would prefer the kitten gone :( Hopefully time will improve all this!

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Thanks for the tips. I did read the article rubysmama and the only thing I think I need to do is maybe get a second water dish so they don’t have to share that. They do have separate food dishes. I know I have been trying to give my older cat some individual TLC but I feel bad because the kitten wants so badly to be involved! He will try to jump in when I’m giving my older cat love as he wants love too and also wants to play with my older cat. As soon as the kitten gets involved, my older cat no longer wants to be pet/played with. It’s frustrating cuz the kitten is very amiable towards him.

My older kitty boy was my first cat ever and my new kitten is the first time I have ever had two so I’m not entirely familiar with the process. I did read up a lot on the subject but cats don’t seem to be like dogs in that one size doesn’t fit all. I have a friend who has a cat that simply hates all other cats but likes dogs and I know someone else that has a cat that adores other cats and loves to cuddle up with any other cats that happen to be in the house, even visitor cats!

They do seem to be doing a bit better together lately as far as playing and such goes but I’m still pretty sure that my cat would prefer the kitten gone :( Hopefully time will improve all this!
It can take time. My Charlie, who has sinced passed, wanted to kill both of his younger brothers when i got them. There was a lot of growling and hissing - and he didn’t speak to me for a couple weeks either - drama queen . Eventually he came around - just be patient