My Ragdoll Is In Full Blown Heat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am spaying my female Ragdoll next week. She is currently in heat for about 4 days now. Did not think this was the season for it. The weather is cooler and the days are shorter. When cats are in heat, do they eat less? She's not eating much now. Once a female cat is spayed, what are the usual changes in their looks, behavior, and personality?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t know what’s common appetite-wise for a female cat in heat, but I can answer some of your spaying questions. Her looks, behavior, and personality won’t change after spaying. The one difference is that you won’t have to deal with some of the anxiety/aggression/yowling to find a mate of a female cat in heat. Something else to do watch out for is her diet. Fixed cats require less calories than intact cats due to the hormonal changes. Your vet will be able to tell you how much to feed.

These articles are very helpful:

Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery

Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats have seasonal heat cycles, while others have heat cycles all year round. Also, the seasonality of heat cycles can be affected by artificial light indoors.

Some cats don't eat as much when they are in heat, but some just keep on eating as usual. It's an individual thing in my experience.

After your girl is spayed, you won't see heat related behavior such as yowling and peeing all over the house... whew! :) But otherwise, most spayed cats don't change very much, other than not coming into heat any more. If a cat was having behavior issues before getting spayed (aggressive, territorial, etc), sometimes those things get better after the spay. Some cats have more of a tendency to gain weight, but that's not true for all.