My Queen had 1 premature dead Kitten. Need advice!

Breanadb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! I have 2 year old pregnant kitty. Yesterday at 2pm she gave birth to a premature dead kitten. Afterwards she remained extremely affectionate. She's very relaxed, eating, drinking, and using her litter box. Today she's purring and hanging around me. Her stomach still appears large. Is it possible the other kittens will be born later? I've called several vets and they've all given me different answers and I've been taken advantage of financially by one too many vets so I'm weary about rushing her in to hand over more money. I know cats give birth all time without human intervention so I don't want to panic for no reason. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!💕💕💕

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in the USA, you can check for references for vetenarians on Yelp. If not, do a Google searc\h on the vet's name to see if there are any comments available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Breanadb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are in the USA, you can check for references for vetenarians on Yelp. If not, do a Google searc\h on the vet's name to see if there are any comments available.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will do that!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she having any discharge? Contractions? It is possible for kittens to come later but the loss of the one is concerning. It’s not uncommon for a young Queen to lose a kitten. I would take her to a vet for blood work to make sure she has nutrition needed, hormones levels okay and no parasites present. Also check for temperature and general wellness. The vet can do ultrasound if you get worried. I hope you find a vet who inspires confidence for you. Just a general wellness check for her and babies should not be terribly expensive if the vet is reasonable. Is this her first litter? Please do let us know how she is doing.

Breanadb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she having any discharge? Contractions? It is possible for kittens to come later but the loss of the one is concerning. It’s not uncommon for a young Queen to lose a kitten. I would take her to a vet for blood work to make sure she has nutrition needed, hormones levels okay and no parasites present. Also check for temperature and general wellness. The vet can do ultrasound if you get worried. I hope you find a vet who inspires confidence for you. Just a general wellness check for her and babies should not be terribly expensive if the vet is reasonable. Is this her first litter? Please do let us know how she is doing.
Thank you for your response. This is her first litter and I know she escaped on 2 occasions and was gone
once for 2 days consecutively. The thing that's keeping me calm is that she is behaving like her normal loving self, eating, drinking , and using her litter box normally. I checked the litter box after she used it and there wasn't any blood present. She was having some light discharge earlier today. It's clear with a little bit of a pinkish color. She's not contracting or straining. She seems happy. I will keep you updated. Thanks again for responding💕

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw poor mom I would get just a general check up and blood work on her to make sure she's doing ok. And I would highly suggest getting her spayed to so no more litters and no more stress :) Glad to hear she is not stressed though or sick. Can you feel the kittens moving?

Breanadb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update everyone. I woke up this morning to find another premature dead kitty in her birthing box. The kitten looked fully developed I assume it's premature because it didn't have as much hair as kittens I've seen. My cat is still acting like her usual self. It seems like her body is doing the work. I wonder if any of them will make it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As said, with a little luck it may still be OK. But also, if you DO have access to an experienced vet obstetrician (not all are), it becomes even more wise to consult him.

As long she is ok, no visible troubles, no fever, no funny discharges, you may hope for the best for her - but what happens with the kittens may be another story...

Dont misunderstand me - any normal breeder would already consult their vet... As the other forumists adviced. But I understand if the cat hasnt insurance and you are tight on money, it may be difficult to take controls for the sake of safety, to be safeguarded.. I understand if you must spare the money for a real emergency....

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you worried about the extra unwanted costs? If so all you would need is a general exam, bloodwork and if the vet feels like more babies are in there, I would get an ultrasound done just to see if they are alive. That's it. I wouldn't even bother with an xray as you won't know if they are actually alive or not and it would be an extra cost.

If they aren't alive she will need a c-section and you can get her spayed at the same time so you won't ever have to deal with this again. And it will save you money somewhat since they won't have to open her again later to be spayed.

TrikeRider

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I am a new member, I just saw this story while scrolling along the web and I feel so invested now I need to follow it. I dont know the rules of the website yet, so I apologize, and I'm sorry this comment isnt helpful. I am hoping commenting makes me follow this feed and sends me emails about future posts. Sorry to waste anyone's time reading this. I need to know if the kitty is ok <3
>^•^<

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, I am a new member, I just saw this story while scrolling along the web and I feel so invested now I need to follow it. I dont know the rules of the website yet, so I apologize, and I'm sorry this comment isnt helpful. I am hoping commenting makes me follow this feed and sends me emails about future posts. Sorry to waste anyone's time reading this. I need to know if the kitty is ok <3
>^•^<
Showing your concern is helpful. I’m glad you are here with us. We are all invested and waiting for news.
Hoping things are okay.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello there! I have 2 year old pregnant kitty. Yesterday at 2pm she gave birth to a premature dead kitten. Afterwards she remained extremely affectionate. She's very relaxed, eating, drinking, and using her litter box. Today she's purring and hanging around me. Her stomach still appears large. Is it possible the other kittens will be born later? I've called several vets and they've all given me different answers and I've been taken advantage of financially by one too many vets so I'm weary about rushing her in to hand over more money. I know cats give birth all time without human intervention so I don't want to panic for no reason. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!💕💕💕
How is it going? Its over a week after your post now...