My Quarantine Adoption

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have some toys yes. She's got some nice that she adores and a wand toy that confuses and distresses her. She does like the stick it comes with though. I just got some basics to start so now that I'm getting a better idea of what she likes, I'll know what to get next time. However my state had just/will be enacting a shelter in place kind of deal and going out for anything other than essentials is prohibited. So I'm doing my best.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Does the wand have bells on it? We had to take them off ours for Mia, because they scared her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all toys have to be purchased. Golf balls are great fun for cats (loud for humans though) as are crumpled pieces of paper, sheets of tissue paper, a plastic straw or a q tip. Some cat go nuts for a cardboard box with a few holes cut into it. Others really like shoeboxes. You just toss out some of these and see if she is Interested.

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wand toy has a plush ball that has beads in it, and I think that's what she doesn't like. I could cut it off but I've got nothing else to put on it.
I've tried the cardboard boxes and she's not really into it. String can get her going but she was a stray so I think the mice toys are things she knows how to deal with. I can get maybe twenty minutes of play with them, and she often entertains herself with them too. I have tried paper balls but I'm worried she'll tear them apart and eat them. Is that a thing with cats?
I did make her a puzzle toy out of a toilet paper roll but she mostly nudges it a bit. Still it's better than nothing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s rare for a cat to actually eat paper. They will pull off chunks with their teeth and spit them out though. If you can order toys online I would highly recommend wide cat springs, sparkle balls and foam balls.

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still going okay. She's started this thing where she'll stay almost exclusively at the top of the stairs, which might or might not be because I haven't gotten her a cat tree (the audacity), and she will only use one litter box out of the two I have supplied her. So I guess she's settling in? I jerry-rigged a wand toy which is mostly feather, and she takes great delight in nibbling it, so the toy situation is improved a bit.

I'm still settling in myself- having never had a cat before. But Ivy is a sweetheart. She doesn't particularly want to cuddle but she does purr whenever I pet her, and she's so chill I can pretty much pet her whenever. Even if she does attack my upstairs carpet.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say attack on the carpet, exactly what is she doing. Sharpening her claws on it or playing with it?

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both? You know how they gets the kitty crazies sometimes? It's like that happens and the closest thing she can get her claws and teeth into my bedroom carpet or the carpet on the stairs. Back feet involved and everything.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When you do get her a scratching post make sure it is one that has carpet on it. Cats have a definite preference for certain materials. Some like wood, some like carpet, and some like cardboard. Grabbing a rug and bunny kicking it is definitely just feeling good and having fun, so maybe get her a throw rug.

Last edited:

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh she's found the throw rugs lol. It just lays there all innocent and Ivy will not tolerate the audacity.

It's been a bit stressful trying to figure out ways to keep her happy, which is a bit of an oxymoron I know. I play with her twice a day, one in the morning and once in the evening when I go to bed. She gets food directly after the play times, and an average of 15-20 minutes each time. I'm trying to simulate what it will be like when I go back to work, so for the most part I'm just observing what she does between those times. If she seeks me out she will get pets, but otherwise I'm not bothering her much. It might sound a bit heartless, but it's half seeing how she does on my schedule and half letting her set the pace. For the most part, at night she wanders in and out of my room and seems content to sleep on the floor in my room. I guess maybe that serves for company. She doesn't come downstairs much, except for food.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh she's found the throw rugs lol. It just lays there all innocent and Ivy will not tolerate the audacity.

It's been a bit stressful trying to figure out ways to keep her happy, which is a bit of an oxymoron I know. I play with her twice a day, one in the morning and once in the evening when I go to bed. She gets food directly after the play times, and an average of 15-20 minutes each time. I'm trying to simulate what it will be like when I go back to work, so for the most part I'm just observing what she does between those times. If she seeks me out she will get pets, but otherwise I'm not bothering her much. It might sound a bit heartless, but it's half seeing how she does on my schedule and half letting her set the pace. For the most part, at night she wanders in and out of my room and seems content to sleep on the floor in my room. I guess maybe that serves for company. She doesn't come downstairs much, except for food.
We have been trying to do that with Mia, too. Get her into a play routine. We're seeing some progress with her for sure. I think you're doing good, but I'd for sure invest in a cat tree. Sounds like Ivy could benefit from it.

We have one, because our cats never were interested. When we got Jasper, we decided to pick one up. I think we got it off Amazon for a pretty good price, but we're working on getting our spare room in order to create a little cat play room so we're gonna be picking up two more, but fairly big ones. Cat trees are great

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She is eating, using her litterbox and playing. This is her being happy so you don’t need to worry about it. Cats really don’t need a lot and she is clearly getting what she needs.