My pregnant cat gave birth to a dead premature baby but not the others, help?!?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old are the kittens? At some point, mom will start actively pushing them away, and it can sometimes look very rough. They are almost never injured by it, but it looks really bad.
Currently 7 weeks, will be 8 weeks in 5 days. She was also agressive to me, she didn't attack me but if i were to touch her she'd bite me for sure

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like she wasn't swatting at them or hissing, she full on grabbed them, bit them down and started kicking them, just like she'd do with my hands when she was a baby when she would play, except they were in pain

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Found out the name is bunny kicking

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SOMETHING is triggering this. I'd watch her very carefully, and quit handling the kittens when she seems to alert. She may be frustrated that you are touching them, and be exhibiting redirected aggression. But that's just a guess.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is how mom disciplines her kittens, but if it gets too rough, break it up.

It’s also time for mom to be spayed now. This will calm her aggressiveness too and prevent another pregnancy.

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
B03643C9-0AFD-4DBC-B77A-22ACB9824125.jpeg 79D80DBC-F94E-48DB-9D23-D3A8EDBB47A5.jpeg
1. what breed you think he is? I ask breed not pattern because he has ear tufts ( not visible in the photo), especially his sister, she has them long like a nyx (he kind of does too). He also has alot of neck fur which his siblings don’t have! do you think he’ll be a long hair?
2. is it ok to wean them at 9 weeks? They currently nurse once- twice a day or so, there are so many debates about this when i do research about it, some say 8 weeks some say 14, ect
3. Any tips on raising affectionate kittens? one of the siblings is just like his mom, un affectionate as hell, hes alright with being pet but he’s not a lap cat, am i doing something wrong or is it his nature? I feed them, play with them (not alot since they also play with each other), i pet them, try to give them treats but they dont like the brand

thanks!!!

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SOMETHING is triggering this. I'd watch her very carefully, and quit handling the kittens when she seems to alert. She may be frustrated that you are touching them, and be exhibiting redirected aggression. But that's just a guess.
I’ve been touching them from the hour they were born, ig maybe just frustration?

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is how mom disciplines her kittens, but if it gets too rough, break it up.

It’s also time for mom to be spayed now. This will calm her aggressiveness too and prevent another pregnancy.
Yes! Been saving up money from one parent since the other one is unsupportive about spaying, shes been staying inside, soon hopefully !!

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi when I said wean at 9 weeks I meant give them away

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Vali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any guesses on breed? They're shorthair i think but have alot of furr in their ears as well as ear tufts, idk if the have toe tufts, too early to tell ig

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't have any breed background :). We call them domestic shorthairs.

Usually longhaired kittens will have poofy tails by this age so they almost certainly are shorthaired.

TClark7882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You for this post! I haven’t been able to find anything on this happening!!! My cat just birthed and stillborn premature baby, I estimate a gestational age of about 50 days. She acknowledged it’s death and I took it away, she is still pregnant with the others which is definite because I feel/see movement. She is no longer in labor, eating, drinking used the litter box and left my bedroom where she insisted on being for the birth. I had a approximate due date for her of 4/11 based on when she got outside(she’s indoors but got out a few times) I’m happy that I see your kittens were birthed a week later, gives me hope that the rest will survive! ♥

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank You for this post! I haven’t been able to find anything on this happening!!! My cat just birthed and stillborn premature baby, I estimate a gestational age of about 50 weeks. She acknowledged it’s death and I took it away, she is still pregnant with the others which is definite because I feel/see movement. She is no longer in labor, eating, drinking used the litter box and left my bedroom where she insisted on being for the birth. I had a approximate due date for her of 4/11 based on when she got outside(she’s indoors but got out a few times) I’m happy that I see your kittens were birthed a week later, gives me hope that the rest will survive! ♥
Good you saw the previous example. As you describe it, momma being OK, kittens apparently alive, reading your post me too have good hopes for a normal delivery of healthy kittens in due time, in about 2 weeks...

Of course, if you you DO have access to an experienced vet whom is a good obstetrician, it may be wise to consult him her, but it looks hopefully for now.

millyuwu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can I please know what happened? Did she have the rest of the kittens normally? This is happening to my cat right now 😢

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the premature kitten almost hairless? Could you tell it was premature, or do you know when your cat was mated? If one is delivered early, it is very possible she will carry the others to term. Cn you feel any movement? Is mama acting normal? Lots of questions, but they do help!