My Poor George

acauthon41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3yo male cat - George - that is unable to urinate. I first noticed it Friday and took him to the vet Saturday morning. She called and said she had to fully sedate him to insert a catheter to drain the bladder. She stated some white stuff came out during flushing (I can't remember what she called it) and that there was sludge. She said she flushed it out two times and put him on an antibiotic and a pain med then sent him home.

Last night he didn't seem any better so I called the vet and they stated it could still be the sedative and to watch him. This morning he was the same, with no urination. Our vet was closed so we took him to another that had an open appointment. This vet said he would give the cat fluids and keep the catheter in 2-3 days. He sedated the cat again, drained the bladder with a needle and stated he could only get a catheter in about 1/2" because of blockage. The vet is going to check him again in the morning to see if they can get the catheter in and, if not, said he would need a urethrostomy. I asked if it was due to inflammation and he said it's blocked.

I'm so upset and distraught and am not sure what to do. My husband says we are not going to spend our life savings on an animal and won't do the surgery; that means I would have to put down a cat - something I can not allow myself to consent to. I need suggestions, support, etc.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you and George are going through this! Talk to your vet, maybe the surgery will not be necessary, but if it is the vet may have some options for you, maybe even a payment plan? I know you need to work with your husband on this, but i would do the payment plan, even if husband didnt want to. But thats just me, i know not everyone can, or will. Im sorry you have to make this decision.

I am keeping you and George in my thoughts and prayers! sending you hugs :grouphug:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor George! A blockage is life-threatening. I hope the vet will accept payments. In the end, you must consider what is best for George. Whatever you decide, we will be here for you!

B4G2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CareCredit! It’s non-interest if you make the minimum payments and most vets will help you set it up.

It doesn’t sound like your first vet did a good job- most would have kept the cat until it was clear he wasn’t blocked.