My picky cat not eating much...again!

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear All,

Please help me increase the appetite of my cat, Cheetah. He was eating like crazy when he was 3-4 months old.

He is on raw 90% of the time. And he is becoming 1 year old next week. He weights 9 lbs. From the 3% rule, he should be eating about 4.32 oz.

He is eating less than 2 oz right now, but he is still playful. He isn't that picky before. Now even I give him canned food, he will only have a few licks.

Last night, I gave him some half cooked chicken meat, tried feeding him, tossing it around as it it is a prey. Cheetah won't eat a bit. Put liver treat on top...did not work.

When I warm up Rad Cats Turkey (commercial raw) until it is slightly warm, I would like to say it feels like 70F. Then he ate about 1.5 oz.
I cant warm every meal like this, because the homemade meal I make have pieces of bone in it.

Can anything suggest anything, treats or supplements that can increase the appetite of Cheetah?

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could add some brewers yeast, spinkle a little over the top, it encourages cat's to eat. While you are preparing food you could accidentaly (on purpose!) drop a piece or two to make your cat think he is getting some food that he's not supposed to. You could also try a little tuna water over the food or perhaps spreading some on his paw so that he has to lick it off.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are finicky no matter what we're feeding them.

I sprinkle Whole Life's Freeze-Dried Meat Treats, usually in the chicken version, over the food to entice them to eat. Sometimes, I'll drizzle tuna juice over the meat and, now that I have fosters who are eating canned, I'll also smear or drizzle some of the canned food juices over their dinner. I've read that Parmesan cheese and FortiFlora both work well at enticing cats to eat, too.

Somebody not wanting what I've put down is a regular occurrence here, so it doesn't worry me - I just use one of the above enticement tricks, make sure they eat at least some of the food, and keep an eye on their weight. I might add a little extra to a favored meal to make up for the missed meals, but that's about it.

Regards.

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried hand feeding him bite sized pieces?

My cats are such babies. They will eat anything I hand feed them even if it is their least favorite food. When transitioning to raw, I found taking a cat, putting him near or on my lap and putting pieces of raw food near or in his mouth while petting him got great results and some purring too.

p.s.
I love the image of you batting raw food around the floor, but I hope your kitty gets his appetite back soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alias

You could add some brewers yeast, spinkle a little over the top, it encourages cat's to eat. While you are preparing food you could accidentaly (on purpose!) drop a piece or two to make your cat think he is getting some food that he's not supposed to. You could also try a little tuna water over the food or perhaps spreading some on his paw so that he has to lick it off.
Haven't heard of the brewers yeast, but will definitely get some ready.
When I am preparing food, they usually come over and look what's going on. They smell and walk away

Also tried tuna water, well, I put some canned tuna n top of raw food, worked a few time a few months ago, not anymore.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Cats are finicky no matter what we're feeding them.

I sprinkle Whole Life's Freeze-Dried Meat Treats, usually in the chicken version, over the food to entice them to eat. Sometimes, I'll drizzle tuna juice over the meat and, now that I have fosters who are eating canned, I'll also smear or drizzle some of the canned food juices over their dinner. I've read that Parmesan cheese and FortiFlora both work well at enticing cats to eat, too.

Somebody not wanting what I've put down is a regular occurrence here, so it doesn't worry me - I just use one of the above enticement tricks, make sure they eat at least some of the food, and keep an eye on their weight. I might add a little extra to a favored meal to make up for the missed meals, but that's about it.

Regards.
Auntie Crazy, when I learnt about Whole Life's freeze-dried treat last time, I bought liver, chicken and turkey. I sprinkled them on food, they won't eat it, but they will eat it alone. When I give them grounded turkey meat every once a while, I will use the crashed liver treat to make meat balls, that usually works for Cheetah.

The lady who I buy Feline's Pride from also told me about Parmesan cheese. I will definitely buy some.

Cheetah does eat, just very little, and he usually eats better when I hand feed him when he is at his kitty condo. (Yes, he is being treated like a king!)

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitty2cat

Have you tried hand feeding him bite sized pieces?

My cats are such babies. They will eat anything I hand feed them even if it is their least favorite food. When transitioning to raw, I found taking a cat, putting him near or on my lap and putting pieces of raw food near or in his mouth while petting him got great results and some purring too.

p.s.
I love the image of you batting raw food around the floor, but I hope your kitty gets his appetite back soon.
Kitty2cat, yes, we hand feed him, since 5 months ago, almost once a day. And yes, he has been eating bite size raw meat. Not that I spoil him like that, I just want them to have balanced diet in every scoop of the homemade raw I make.

Now, he will only eat a little of his daily favorite food (because he changes his mind so often) when I hand feed him. Sometimes, I have to force some into his mouth, then he realizes that he may like the food, and will eat some sometimes.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear Friends,

I bought Cheetah to the vet on Thursday. The vet said Cheetah is in good weight, he is curious, he is just being a very picky cat, because I spoiled him.

The vet tried to give him some baby food and a/d canned food at the visit, and Cheetah, just like normal, turned his nose up.

The vet said I should give him the same food for about 3 weeks to make him realizes that he is no long spoiled. So I have been feeding Feline's Pride chicken formula since Thursday (They are not the batch being recalled). He is getting a little bit better. He ate his bigger portion this morning, about 1 oz.

So I hope this is will work. Then I will give them another type of meat after that. Thank you for all your suggestions!