My Persian Cat New Breathing Habits

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 year old Persian male that I've had since he was 6 months old. The breeder I got him from wasn't the greatest and the place was nasty but I didn't know any better and still bought him. He's always had the snifflies on and off but recently it's been amplified and I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. About 4 months ago the city I live in had a horrible wildfire which forced us to evacuate to a hotel and I noticed he started acting funny at this time. Since this wildfire I've have to take him to vet about 4 times for his breathing. The vet told me he has a herpes virus that he caught from the breeder that he will always have and stressful situations bring it out (the fire). So off and on since the fire he's sneezed quite a bit and takes dramatic breathes. This isn't all the time but couple times a week he seems to struggle. When he sleeps it's a trumpet sound Sometimes and he wakes up swallowing Alot. All these symptoms aren't all the time but a few times a week.I Do notice it's worse in the morning and he coughs also. His nose doesn't run but his eyes do which I always clean. My dilemma is I've taken him to the vet so much which I'm sure brings the herpes virus up and then I'd be back at square one. Is there anything I can do at home to help him to avoid a car trip to vet? He eats and drinks willingly and acts pretty normal just his breathing is just so loud and stuffed up

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many people here who have cats with Feline Herpes give them L-Lysine every day. Twice daily. The maintenance dose is 250 mg twice daily, and when they are having a flare-up, then it goes up to 500 mg twice daily. If this isn't done consistently, from what I understand, then it doesn't help. And for those who have it really bad, then some people add Lactoferrin to the mix. Both of these are supplements that can be mixed into their food, or if you don't feed wet food, I know you can buy L-Lysine "treats".

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - something else as a possibility, if you're able to, invest in an air cleaner. I could be wrong but I think it isn't only stress, there's probably stuff still in the air from the fire - that tiny ashy stuff takes for ever to dissipate, even if it rains because in areas where it doesn't rain or not enough, the wind and everything else stirs that stuff up all over again.

Also, there are other things that could possibly help his airway;
less dusty litter
no spray air fresheners
no scented candles
use unscented laundry soap and dryer sheets
don't use perfume or strongly scented shampoo or bath soap

One other thing that maybe you could test out with a smaller less expensive handheld version is whether higher humidity helps him.
Poor baby, poor you - I'm so hoping your house survived!!
I'm so glad that he found you and has you as his person :catlove: - hopefully the place he came from has been shut down in the meantime :cloudy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you both so much for responding :) I bought him L lysine treats about 2-3 weeks ago and it says to give him 1-2 a day. I don't have the treats with me now but I'm wondering if I should give him more because I don't know if 250mg is 2 treats or if 1 treat is 250mg. IS there

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello thank you both for replying :) I bought him L lysine treats about 2-3 weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't have the bag on me at the moment as I'm at work but I know the bag says to give him 1-2 treats a day and I don't know if I should give him more. I'm wondering if i should give him 3-4 treats because I don't know if 2 treats are 250 mg or if 1 is but I always give him 2. I did buy a air purifier after the fire because the air here was deemed dangerous. The air seems "fine" now since the fire was back in October but I'll try running it more to see if that helps. I do notice his breathing is worst in the morning after he wakes up :/ I was suspicious that he had nasal polyps but I'm leaning more towards just herpes flare ups from the fire and from multiple vet visits. I do run a humidifier sometimes in my room for him. Crossing my fingers this gets better I'm just glad he doesn't breathe out his mouth yet or stopped eating

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Speaking of eating, have you tried any different foods just to see if it, for whatever weird reason, might make a difference?

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't thought about food. He has been on wet food the last year or 2 and I did buy hard food for my other cat who is a domestic short-haired who prefers it. Blanka (my Persian) does eat that kibble everyday and really chows down on it I don't know if thats linked to it or if I should buy different kibble they will both enjoy

Sagwah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible he has seasonal allergies? Mine do, there's a certain tree we know sets Gypsy off and she snores like mad when its in bloom. Seriously, she's louder than I am. Air purifiers help her out a LOT, as does closing up the house when the offending tree is in bloom. Because Gypsy has eye issues, she can't use allergy shots or meds, so we just clean the air as best as we can. I also bathe her in anti-itching shampoo a few times during the allergy season to get the allergens out of her coat. Your boy, being a Persian, might also benefit from this.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I would like to welcome you to TCS! :welcomesign: Second, please feel free to familiarize yourself with some of the excellent Articles on the forum. Here is one that you may find helpful on Feline Herpes: Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis You came to the right place for support. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask since there are so many knowledgeable members here.

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much :) I do feel a lot of it is my anxiety and I watch every little this he does when I'm home now. He was quite sick when I bought him from the breeders (constant diareeha) and over the years I felt ive gotten him to a good place. I've been a groomer for the last 13 years so I do have a good grasp on basic animal health but with him I cant figure it out. I have never thought of the allergies aspect so maybe ill try new litter. You all have been very helpful thanks!