My PC or TCS?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not real computer literate, so I'm going to ask what may be a dumb question. 

I was replying to a private message here, and half of what I was typing just wasn't showing up; I had to repeatedly go back and type it over again.  Several times, the soundtrack from a commercial broke in---no video, just audio---while I was typing.  It's odd, because as I'm typing this I'm not having any problems.  I had no other windows open, just TCS.

Is it just the pm function that seems to be messed up, or is my computer haunted?  Really, really annoying.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I once had the issue of words I typed not showing up.  I ended up having a virus, so I would make sure your PC is clean.

No clue about the music - but again, I'd check for a virus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm running Norton, so things should be okay but I'll double-check. I'm having a lot of trouble typing this but there's a video ad trying to run on the right side of my screen.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the past few days on my computer at home, I get the same thing - music - audio only - like commercials are running in the background - is coming from nowhere?? it only happens when I sign on to this site!!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We had that problem with a computer at work--audio commercials in the background--and it turned out the computer had a virus.  If I'm remembering right, we got rid of it with Malwarebytes.  

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It's definitely not coming from TCS. We have a strict policy of no autoplay on any video/audio ads. Ever.
 I value user experience too much for that (my own included 
). I really don't want to drive people to using an ad blocker here (and if you do use one, please whitelist TCS so we can get the revenue from the ads - they're never pop-ups or autoplay!)

If you see an ad that starts playing here, it's either because you hovered over the ad with your mouse for long enough or clicked it.

As for that audio-only thing, I've had that happen to me a long while ago and it was a virus. Maybe run a full scan? (make sure your AV is up to date before you start).

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I installed and ran malwarbytes, and it didn't find anything.   Ran a scan with Norton---again, nothing.  Having a heck of a time typing this, missing letters in words and not keeping up with my typing.  No audio this time

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried with different browsers? If this is a Firefox problem, try with Chrome, Opera, Safari, even Internet Explorer to see if it's consistent. You could also try backing up your browser information, such as bookmarks, and then uninstalling and reinstalling the browser. If it's something that happens off and on, maybe something automatic like draft saving is making your browser or computer "chug" for some reason and it's lagging while it tries to think and keep up with the typing.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Have you tried with different browsers? If this is a Firefox problem, try with Chrome, Opera, Safari, even Internet Explorer to see if it's consistent. You could also try backing up your browser information, such as bookmarks, and then uninstalling and reinstalling the browser. If it's something that happens off and on, maybe something automatic like draft saving is making your browser or computer "chug" for some reason and it's lagging while it tries to think and keep up with the typing.
That's a good idea. I know that when it happened on my computer, the darn thing would go on playing the music even when every program was shut down. I had to re-start the computer every time!

As for the ads, I have to rectify my previous statement. I think we may have "moving" ads that have a kind of video clip in them. They're still not supposed to make any sound unless you interact with them. They're not entirely static though, so if you're seeing them, that should be fine.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you also run "Cureit"?  That's a great tool that finds things that many programs miss.

Do a Malwarebytes scan at least weekly to keep your computer free of malware.  Most virus scanners don't detect that kind of stuff.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I haven't tried different browsers; I use IE exclusively.  I did install malwarebytes, and thinking about Natalie's suggestion regarding cureit.  Strangely enough, as I'm typing this I'm not having any issues---no audio, the print is keeping up with my typing; I have no clue if simply installing the malwarebytes helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I'm not the most computer literate person around, and things like this leave me flustered.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I did check with the person in charge of the advertising here and they say there should be no auto-audio on any of the ads here. However, it's not impossible for the occasional rogue ad to slip through. It won't play once you close your browser, so if that's what you were experiencing it was not a TCS ad. I did want to mention it though, in case anyone gets an ad that does play its audio without having been interacted with. If you see (or rather, hear) that, please do report it to us asap, and make sure to note which product/company the ad was for. Thank you!