My parents cat is drinking more than usual and peeing excessively

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents cat is 12 years old and overweight. (She once was 19 pounds but they’ve worked to get her down to 14. She’s been at that weight for several years now). A few weeks ago my parents noticed her drinking excessively and she was peeing like 6 times a day (medium to large quantities every time).

They took her to the vet and they tested her for 3 things - I know one was diabetes. I think the other was something to do with the thyroid and then something else? Everything came back normal. They eventually did a urine sample and there was bacteria and small crystals.

she did a round of antibiotics and then they tested her urine afterwords and all came back clear. Mom just called me and said she’s been drinking more again and when she pees there’s a huge amount.

I told them they should increase her water intake (like adding water to her nightly wet food) in general and maybe cut back on the dry food but they haven’t. They take care of their cat but they aren’t like me with my two where I treat them like my own kids if that makes sense. Is it likely the bacteria came back? Should they make another vet visit? Anything else than can be done and any reason this is happening? They say she’s acting completely fine besides the drinking and urine problems.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your parent's cat is peeing so often and so much, because she's drinking so much water. So adding water to her food, would just be changing the way she gets it

The 2 main things that come to my mind when I read a cat is drinking more than usual, is thyroid and diabetes, which you say were both tested for and were fine. So I Googled, and chronic kidney disease is another. So if her kidney function wasn't checked, maybe it should be. And even if it was, since she's still drinking more than usual, a follow up with the vet is probably necessary.

Here's an excerpt from Why is my cat so thirsty? - Metropolitan Veterinary Associates.
"Three of the more common causes of excessive urination and excessive drinking in cats are diabetes mellitus, chronic kidney disease, and hyperthyroidism."

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. But I also want to say that it is almost guaranteed that those tests included checking for kidney function (creatinine, BUN, phosphorus, etc.). Find out more about the test results.

It is possible that the antibiotic that was given 'subdued' but didn't eradicate the bacteria/infection. Just having bacteria identified, without knowing what kind (via a urine culture along with the urinalysis) makes it difficult to just treat with any general antibiotic. The fact that this cat has crystals - which are NOT cleared up by any antibiotic - means that she should really have her dry food reduced and replaced with canned food. It isn't just the fact of more water in canned food; it is likely due to the composition of the dry food that could be contributing to the formation of crystals.