My parakeets laid an egg!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

stupid question... why would you want to shake it or put the egg in the freezer, wouldnt that harm the forming baby?

Also can u get birds fixed like you can cats and dogs?
Yes, it harms the egg, that's the point.
That is how you prevent eggs from hatching without causing the hen to continue laying and endangering herself.
Cockatiels and Budgies (parakeets) are extremely overbred, but if you have a bonded pair, you really don't want to seperate them.

Hens can be spayed, but it is usually only done as a last resort for chronic egglayers and hens with eggbinding issues.
Cockatiels are very prone to these problems.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

stupid question... why would you want to shake it or put the egg in the freezer, wouldnt that harm the forming baby?

Also can u get birds fixed like you can cats and dogs?
I was wondering the same things.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otisbird

Are you sure there is a male & female? How many eggs now? You may have 2 females arguing over the eggs.
That's wahat I was thinking, I used to have peachfaced Lovebirds and they had eggs , they got to be mean like a cross between a hawk and a buzzard
they were mean little shi** anyway

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bad news...blue birdie died.
I came home and he was all puffy, and died a few minutes later. We're not sure what happened, poor little guy.

I'm not sure if the eggs will hatch or not....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm afraid there are no baby birdies coming. Mommy bird stopped roosting a few days ago. It's sad, since she spent so much time looking after those eggs.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a shame. I was looking forward to little baby birdies.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely both were female and the eggs were sterile. It could have been the blue bird that was laying the eggs and became egg bound. This is the only reason the other bird would have attacked the blue one. Both parents wil care for the eggs and young so I doubt that they were a "pair" as in male and female.