My our vet told us our cat has heart disease

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet told us our cat has heart disease, nothing more than that was said. We were there for his newly diagnosed epilepsy disorder. But now I have questions about this heart disease, is it treatable or curable? What are the symptoms of it?

I hope someone can give me some answers.

I should also mention he is a almost 10yr old male kitty
Thanks so much
Jasper's owner

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Heart Disease in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

Lots of thing fall under heart disease for cats. About 35% of cats have some type of heart disease; many have heart disease as they age.

Symptoms and treatment will depend on the condition causing the heart disease

Did he have an ultrasound on his heart to give a diagnosis? Did the vet say he has a murmur?

Usually the vet books for a heart ultrasound. I'm actually waiting on one for my Ghost. We won't know his diagnosis until then. Magnus, our other cat also technically has heart disease as he has a congenital heart murmur that causes him no issue. As he gets older it may progress, but for now there's no issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilnana65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying. No he didn't have an ultrasound, is it something I should ask for? Yes he does have a heart murmur. He doesn't appear to be showing any signs of being sick other than the Epilepsy, which just started a month ago. :(
Jasper's mom

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The vet told you that he has a heart murmur, and that was the end of the discussion?

If you were able to do so, I would recommend that you proceed with an ultrasound. This diagnostic will give you a clear picture of what is going on with the heart and if medication is needed.

Is it possible to treat heart conditions and cats, but you do have to know what the diagnosis is and what the severity might be. If the vet tells you that this is very early and nothing to worry about you may have to push for the ultrasound yourself.

Cats with a heart decision may not show symptoms. It is also possible that this is mild and early and would not actually need medication or treatment but at least you will know that.

Cats with heart conditions which should have been treated can have very serious or fatal episodes. I am not saying that this will happen to your cat, but I think that you should advocate for him.