My one cat is meowing CONSTANTLY. What can I do?

2tatocatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting fed up. I don't know what the problem is.

He literally meows all day long. Our one cat is supposed to be on a diet to help him lose weight (he started gaining weight after he was fixed), but the other cat is fit and lean and quite a healthy weight. He's the one, however, who is CONSTANTLY meowing to be fed. At least I assume that's what he wants. And honestly, I've been working so much OT lately (I work full time night shift) that after a while, I just feed him so he'll shut up and I can get some sleep. I have BAD insomnia and it's a miracle if I get 4 hours as it is, and I work nights at a very stressful, demanding job.

It's literally every 4 hours. So obviously the fat one isn't losing any weight. Though, honestly, he's been on a "diet" for a year now and hasn't lost any weight even when we were able to keep them on a strict feeding schedule. I sleep with ear plugs and a fan, and my fiance sleeps through the meowing, but I can't. And honestly I wonder if the downstairs neighbours can hear him all night when we're at work, and I'm worried they might call and make a complaint. I've tried ignoring him as to not encourage the behaviour, but I just can't listen to the meowing and then he'll go to a cabinet and try and open it for what seems like HOURS. Meow, bang, bang, bang, meow...bangbangbang....MEOW? meooooow. BANG BANG!

If I leave some treats out, he won't eat them. He wants whatever he eats to be in his bowl. Okay, fine. So I'll put his treats in his bowl. But the instant his bowl is empty, he starts meowing again. I don't understand.

To be honest, we haven't really had time to play with them much, but I was hoping since there's two of them they would play together. And they do.

They have plenty of scratching posts, a cat tree, one of those little circular cardboard claw-scratching things with a ball that goes around, plenty of toy mice, and I like to keep the patio blinds open  and the door open so they can see the birds outside and get some fresh air.  They love to play with pipe cleaners and qtips and lazers and stuff. He's at my side right now nuzzling my elbow and if I don't give him attention he'll start nipping my elbow. He's a nice cat but I think he gets bored and overstimulated too easily. He begs me to pet him, but then he'll eventually bite me (he's done this since he was a kitten, and I was always told it was "love bites" but they actually hurt me). He isn't fond of being picked up.

But I don't know what else to do here. He just seems to discontent no matter what I do. I've tried feeding schedules, I've tried setting aside time before/after work to play with them, I've tried switching out foods (wet/dry).

Does anyone have any advice? He's been to the vet and he's healthy. I've considered trying that Feliway stuff, but it doesn't seem like anxiety? I just want my cat(s) to be happy :(

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feliway is worth a shot.  It's hard to constantly have your sleep interrupted!  I get that!! 

It sounds like a routine might be helpful.  Something hunt (play), eat, sleep based.  So save their "breakfast' time for right before you go to sleep.  Have a good, tiring play session with wands, laser pointers, etc and then feed them.  You can also try putting some toys away and rotating them every few days or once a week.  

Cat puzzles might be a good idea for him too.  

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I can relate to the annoying sound of a cat meowing all the time.  I have a cat that likes to talk and sometimes, boy or boy it definitely drives me crazy.

I have a couple questions about your guy.  How long has he been doing this?  Is it a new behavior?  Has he been fixed?  Have there been any changes in your household that may be making him anxious? Any additional information may help getting answers to your problem.

caramelthekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you're keeping him on a regular feeding and play schedule, I don't think there should be a problem unless the cat is stuck in a possible cycle where it's attraction to females in heat is still active. I have heard some cats that were spayed/neutered late receive this effect.They will meow or yowl continuously until they are calmed by that 'something' that they really like. Otherwise, It can be a disorder, aging effect, Loneliness, Attention seeking, or stress. You can check out other sources if you can't find anything helpful.