My Older Boys and Vet Care

southbound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 fifteen year old boys. We moved to a new state and our new vet updated all of their shots. For their age they are pretty healthy they eat and drink and still go up and down the stairs with no problems. they interact well with our younger group of young cats and in general other than a slight weight loss look and act like they did 5 years ago. They never go outside. We got mailed notices that they are due for another round but I think it is not important at this stage of their lives to keep getting shots. Am I doing the right thing not taking them in unless there is a change in appearance or behaviour?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is really important that kitties, especially kitties this age, get annual wellness exams.  It would be really good if that exam included blood work.  I would talk to your vet about the vaccinations.  I don't think that kitties this age need regular vaccinations but of course the laws in a specific area controls the rabies vaccination.  The new recommendation for indoor kitties is every three years for the other vaccinations.  I think even that recommendation may be excessive for adult kitties particularly the seniors.