My Ocicat Sadielious is getting a brother

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I decided to adopt a 4-yr old male Seal Point Siamese, Toulouse (Tula for short) and I'm hoping to have him home this week. So, I'm looking for some pointers from fellow Ocicat owners as to how to ensure a smooth transition for both Sadie & Tula. Sadie has a lovely personality and is good with other cats. However, Tula's temperment is unknown to me as I'm rescuing him from shelter. His human parents recently died and he was brought to the shelter. Needless to say, he's sad and scared. He seems to be a pretty passive cat -- he even let me check out his teeth and ears, etc without any problems.

Any suggestions you can offer me to ensure a smooth transition are much appreciated.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations on your new baby.

Click on the Cat Behavior link at the top of the page and look for the article on Introductions.

Some people say to keep them separated for two weeks before you even let them see each other, then make a slow introduction over 2-3 weeks. Of course, I didn't know anything about that when I first started adding cats. I've never had an introduction that took more than 2-3 days.

Good luck, and post some

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your Aby is beautiful! Thanks for the note.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's taken only 1 week for Tula, my new Choc Point Siamese, and my Ocicat Sadie to become friends.
Tula found his 'stride' and is now quite happy in his new home. Sadie is being a fantastic big sister and I'm loving having 2 fur babies at home.

dave_ph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I added a Lilac Colopoint to my house and when she met my Raggie Fay the Meezer was all "Let's be friends" but Fay took about a month to accept Mia.

Welcome to Colorpoint Meezer world. They're full of energy, and play and have A LOT to say.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OHHH I'm so glad Sadie's got a buddy now and everyone is happy. Maybe Oci girls are more accepting them most other girls

Was thinking another Oci - but Siamese is just as great. They would get along with Siamese or Aby best since that's their background and like types tend to take to each other quicker. I know my Rexes tended to hang out together over another breed/mix

You'll have to post pics. Jack may be getting a baby brother this fall! Keeping fingers crossed that the choco-silvers turn out good - have a choice of 2 boys right now.

Maybe its cause both are "chocolate" based cats

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Maybe its cause both are "chocolate" based cats
Funny, I was thinking just that! I couldn't be happier with Sadie's behaviour. I was a little worried since she's been an only child for 4 years and, yes, she's extremely spoiled
I've always known she's a good girl but this far outweighed my expectations.

It's taken me a long time to find the right second cat, so a big thank you to everyone who encouraged me to bring another baby into the house.

(How is beautiful Charlie doing?)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad it's working out for you, my Oci's have always quickly accepted the new commers.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we brought Jack home, Charlie wanted to play with him on day two. Ling would not even give him a 2nd glance for a month! But she's miss princess anyway!