My Nugget bit me in the arm?

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nugget is almost 6 months old and today when I went to her after she was meowing at me, I picked her up and after a while she bit me lightly in the arm. I then said no and I remembered from a video that squealing can show them that biting is a no no. With Oreo she almost always bit me when I pet her or even tried to hold her at times, she has always been playful and aggressive. But Nugget has always been the calm and generally nicer kitten but I don’t know why she bit me today. I don’t want her or Oreo to bite me or my family again and I want to learn how to stop it. Any tips on how to stop kitten biting?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are learning. Telling them no but also redirecting their energy. They are testing everything as kittens. During play with each other they nip and test each other’s limits. Try playing with them using something that really makes them run out their energy like a wand toy. Also, when holding them try to keep a toy handy to give them to bite instead of you. Showing them it’s okay to bite toys instead may help. Sometimes cats bite to try and tell you something too, like, I am hungry now. Make sure they have full tummies when cuddling might stop lessen the nipping. If biting becomes regular or a problem, put them down the instant they bite and they will learn that is not the way you want to communicate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens are learning. Telling them no but also redirecting their energy. They are testing everything as kittens. During play with each other they nip and test each other’s limits. Try playing with them using something that really makes them run out their energy like a wand toy. Also, when holding them try to keep a toy handy to give them to bite instead of you. Showing them it’s okay to bite toys instead may help. Sometimes cats bite to try and tell you something too, like, I am hungry now. Make sure they have full tummies when cuddling might stop lessen the nipping. If biting becomes regular or a problem, put them down the instant they bite and they will learn that is not the way you want to communicate.
Thank you, I’ll try this.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JCatbird is right, but you might also try hissing at them the moment they bite you. This is in their language and tells them, "No, that hurt! don't do it." But it also tells them you and they are still friends. They don't want to hurt you. They just don't understand how tight human skin is, that's why what doesn't hurt them will hurt us. It's really good you have two, because a lot of their testing is done on each other and not you.