My not outdoor cat who never was a outdoor cat, wants to go outside?

What could be happening?

• Jealous?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cat Nip?

• Sick?

• Scared?

• Upset?

• Lonely?

• Mad?

• Trying to run away?

• Total voters

katr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was spayed. But she wants to go outside all of a sudden. I let her out and I went with her. She went under my porch and was eating a plant. What is going on.. My mom is getting mad at her because she is meowing so much. But it just started today? I have another cat he is her brother and he is neutered. She is a runt of the litter. We have 2 cats and I have a hamster. I just got him. Could she be jealous? Her food bowl is full so is her water dish. I'm so confused... Please help me

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you saying you just got the hamster?  And is the boy allowed out?

She would probably appreciate some cat grass in a pot inside.

ettina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience, indoor cats pretty much always want to go outside (unless they're quite elderly). But if you never let them out, or let them think they might get to go out, they often give up asking - not that they don't want it anymore, they've just given up on getting it (a form of learned helplessness) and are focusing on other things.

So my guess is that she wanted to go outside all along, but now she's decided she has a chance of getting you to let her. Or maybe seeing a hamster around has reminded her of how much she'd like to hunt. (By the way, be very careful with her and the hamster. Cats are designed to kill rodents. It's rare to find a cat who is safe around a rodent pet, and even then I'd never leave them together unsupervised.)

As for the eating a plant, cats are quite curious and will often try to chew on unfamiliar objects, even if they aren't what a cat would normally eat. In addition, if the cat has an upset stomach or hairballs, eating some grass can help. However, letting her outside for a little while has probably only increased her determination to go out, because now she's realized she has a chance of convincing you.

hopps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can always leash train her and take her for walkies :D

Or you can add a few more minutes to the play sessions to tire her out.